"Of course she is." I simply reply and the corners of Jay's mouth twitch. It reminds me of her. It's almost funny. Jay and Jennie couldn't look and be more different but you can still find the similarities. You can tell they are siblings. 

"How are you?" Jay slowly sits down in front of me and looks at me intently. 

"Appropriate." I squeeze out gritting my teeth. It makes me angry that Jennie is avoiding me. A thing that Jay knows but conscientiously ignores. I scratch my cheek. 

"You've grown." Jay's way of complimenting me. A blush forms on my cheeks. Our first meeting was unplanned and quite embarrassing for me. 

On Jennie's 16th birthday, I wanted to sneak into her room at midnight. I did but then I ended up in the wrong room. It was really very unpleasant. I think he just remembered that too. 

"You too ." An understatement. Jay has always been tall and broad. His authoritarian personality always intimidated me. I squint at the table. I couldn't look him in the eyes for a long time. 

"Lalisa." I look up. 

"Yes?" 

"You're falling again." I smile. 

I do it often. I fall into my thoughts, daydream and get lost there. My parents always said I fantasize too much. Jay was the first to call it the fall. I found this term calming. Unlike my parents, he had my case never ridiculed. 

"I have to thank you." He says suddenly and my smile falls. 

"That's not necessary." I have a lot of respect for Jay. He was like a big brother to me. The fact that he has to thank me feels wrong. 

"Lalisa." He starts and I shake my head. 

"It's not necessary." I repeat. He furrows his eyebrows. 

"You saved my niece and I am in your debt for that." I hold my breath. Tears are forming in my eyes. I shake my head. 

"I'm sorry, Jay." I hold my hand over my mouth, sniffling. I look down at my lap, blind with tears, and clench my hand. I hear a chair moving. I stifle a quiet sob. I have to pull myself together. A glass of water suddenly appears in my sight. I slowly look up and look into Jay's black eyes. 

"Stop crying." I sniffle and gratefully accept the water. His slightly bossy manner reminds me of Jennie. Only Jay seems confused. 

"I should have called you immediately." I murmur. 

"Then Lili wouldn't have had to witness that. I gave her some food first and waited. It's my fault, Jay." I whisper. I hear him sigh thoughtfully. 

"You're not to blame. Deep down you know that." I blink my tears away. "

"Is she okay?" I ask hoarsely and he nods.

"She has a really pretty name, don't you think?" A big smile comes to my lips. 

"Indeed." I murmur. Jay's calm streak is a gift.

He was always the diplomat, the leader and the all-knowing. In contrast to Jay, Jennie was loud, brave and almost wild. If Jennie is a warrior, then Jay is the king he serves. 

"I would like to ask you a few questions." I nod with a sigh. Jay sits down in front of me again and looks at his notebook. 

"What else do you remember?" He asks me. The gentleness has disappeared from his face. Now the authoritarian commissioner sits in front of me. I swallow. 

"Smoke." I murmur. My eyes were foggy. "There was black smoke everywhere. I often lost sight of Lili. Her sobs still echo in my ears." I close my eyes straining.