Chapter 1: Not Like This

Who knew someone living mere feet away could become so important to you, while you felt insignificant in their eyes? That they would be within your grasp, but you couldn't touch them. I know I sure didn't, until it happened.

———————————-

Living near campus definitely has its perks. Depending on my schedule and the weather, I'd walk to school most of the time, or just take a short trip on the bus. Even luckier, I got a job nearby as well.

The only downside, I didn't know anyone in the area.

I've lived here for a little over three years now. During my second year, after renewing my lease, I learned the empty apartment across from mine was finally being rented. I hoped it would be someone close in age, because most of the tenants on this floor are elderly. They never paid much attention to me, nor did I really speak to any of them either.

When I arrived home that day, I was met with the sight of a new tenant. I immediately got excited seeing the boxes outside the door. They were filled with textbooks and binders that had stickers on them indicating they belonged to my university. This person must be a student like me! While lost in my thoughts, their door flew open and loud music filled the halls. A tall figure leaned on the door frame with one hand above him and the other shoved casually in his pocket. Slowly looking up I took note that he's very attractive. He had a thin waist that was evident from his tight shirt, but that did nothing to conceal his broad shoulders. Just above them, his hair hung loose, however the upper part was pulled into a messy bun. Small strands fell down and framed his face perfectly, from the multitude of piercings lining his ears and on his lip, to the jawline so sharp I felt like it could cut me if I touched it. He's gorgeous... I thought to myself. The man spoke up and a pang of panic ran through me. How long had I been staring?

"Hey baby, see something you like?" he said with a wink.

Ew, moment over. I immediately cringed.

"What...? No. I - uh... My name is Y/N. I live right across from you." I straightened my features and reached my hand out to him.

He took it in his and brought it up to his lips, giving it a light kiss on my knuckles. "I'm Jungkook, or you can call me JK. Nice to meet you, baby." He chuckled, throwing in another wink for good measure.

I snatched my hand back and shot him a deadpan look, "Please don't ever call me that again."

He laughed heartily while bringing both hands to his stomach, almost falling over. That wasn't even funny!

"Stop laughing. Who calls someone they just met such a cringey pet name? Weirdo."

He finally calms himself and wipes a stray tear from his eye. He straightens up, tilts his head and says, "I'm just messing with you. I caught you gawking and I just had to go for it. Your reaction was cute and hilarious." He gives me this big toothy grin. He looks like a bunny, cute. Oh my god Y/N STOP I mentally cursed at myself.

My eyes searched the surroundings for anything that could move us away from the awkward situation and tell me more about the stranger. After a moment my eyes fell back onto the stickers and I spoke again, "Anyway, I noticed the stickers on your books. Those are from my university. You're a student?"

Then a door down the way opens and an older man pops his head out. He screams, "Can you keep that music down or close your door?! I'm trying to take a nap!"

Speaking loudly over the music back at him, I call out "Will do, Mr. Kim. We're very sorry." I give him an apologetic look. He just scoffs and slams his door.