The Reveal Of Afaris

Start from the beginning

"We had gone to a special clearing in the forest filled with flowers. It was at that moment when we looked into each other's eyes that we shared that one special kiss. The kiss that would both make us connected and where Death was lingering. It wasn't painful, but it wasn't entirely painless. I was the first to fall, and Tye was next as the poison spread through the blood in our veins and slowly stopped our hearts. Our parents found us and were devastated as my mother cried begging Life for one more chance, but Death and Life kept to the original conditions and refused. Our souls were taken to the tree where we were revived as the entities we are now."

"Tye and I could not be in love and were brought back to Life as adopted brother and sister. I was sent to protect Death's bloodline, and Tye was sent to protect Life's bloodline for the rest of eternity. We never got to see our families again, and we were prevented from ever falling in love or being able to meet again. The one time we disobeyed those rules and tried to meet, there was this... force between us that wouldn't let us touch." A tear falls from her eye. "I still remember his touch and warmth, and I miss being close to him more than anything. I don't know if he remembers me after five thousand years."

"Nyx, i-i mean Afaris. I'm... so sorry. I can't even imagine the amount of pain you must've felt being brought back like this, separated from the one you loved so dearly." Afaris wipes her tears and walks back through the mirror, separating herself from Nyx as the glass cracks and falls apart.

"What's done is done, and there is nothing I can do about it anymore," Nyx says. "I changed my name to remove myself from my past, but Tye... he never changed his, but I suppose he's always been much stronger than me mentally. I miss him dearly and the way he used to make flower crowns for me." she smiles at the memory. "He always tried his best to keep me happy, even if that meant sacrificing things on his end." Nicolette smiles.

"Well, what else do you remember about him? About your pasts?" Nicolette asks. Nyx thinks to herself momentarily.

"I remember my mother made this grand feast that excited our entire village, and when Tye came over, he had this poorly made salad that we ended up finding a spider in." She laughs. "Funny enough, he ended up befriending that spider. I was so surprised when he picked it up with his bare hand and talked to it like you people would a cat. My father never liked Tye and always saw him as trouble. He used to be so sweet and often snuck to my bedroom window at night just to say hi." She smiles, reminiscing. She turns to look at Nicolette. "Don't worry. I doubt what happened to him and I will happen to you and Ein."

"Nyx... is there a way for you to return to normal? Or to be free?" Nyx shakes her head with a sad smile before flicking Nicolette on the forehead. "Oww hey! What was that for!?" Nicolette says, rubbing the spot on her forehead.

"Focus on yourself for now. I can take care of myself, but you are just a normal human, and we need to train you."

"Eh? Train me? I thought handling the scythe was going to be your job." Nyx cocks a brow.

"Where did you get that idea, Nicolette?"

"Well, you seem more in touch with the scythe than I am, and frankly, I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm not the fighting type." Nyx waves her hand, waving that concern aside.

"That's what I'm here for. William will think we're training to serve him when, in reality, I'll be training you to defend yourself if anything. There's a high probability that William will have more of that serum on hand and other plans in that head of his and an even higher chance that he can control me at some point. If that's the case I want you to at least know how to wield this weapon, but don't you dare think It's going to be a piece of cake 'cause it's going to be the opposite." Nicolette sits down on the bed. It took them forever to convince William to administer the antidote.

"Nyx... I'm not like you or my father. I can't fight even if I try. I only awakened or used my powers when I managed to wilt a flower. Not to mention, I'm sensitive, and the thought of harming anyone just rubs me the wrong way." Nyx appears in front of Nicolette, leaving her core, and places her finger under her chin, lifting her head up so they make eye contact.

"You may be sensitive, yes, but in a way, you were given me and this ability. Only those capable of wielding these abilities are given the chance. Consider it a piece of luck or fate, but we're stuck with each other, and we're going to make it work one way or the next." Nicolette looks at the scythe in its casing.

"This is just some kind of joke. I know my father is far more powerful than I am, and if William manages to control you or us, what then?" Nyx could empathize with Nicolette's worry.

"That's where that lover boy of yours comes into play. It's clear you're very dear to him after all this time, and I highly doubt he's sitting around. If we lose control and he shows up, that's where his part will come. In a way, it's ridiculous to rely on him to keep us in line, but he is our counterpart, and he's already got the staff and connected with Tye... my Tye." Nyx removes the staff from its casing and gives it to Nicolette. "The world is scary, but what's even scarier is being prey hunted by the predator, and I do not want to see you become the prey."

"I am not the prey!" Nicolette says, offended.

"Okay, sweetheart, I'm gonna be completely honest with you. You are like a bunny rabbit surrounded by foxes, and William is the wolf, the head predator. You can't stand up for yourself, you can't handle torture, you cry yourself to sleep at night, you insist on writing in a little diary, the slightest sound startles you, you're scared to wield the scythe, you are afraid to harm anyone to defend yourself-"

"Okay, okay!" Nicolette sighs, looking down at the carpeted floors. "I get it. I'm weak and cowardly." How was she supposed to wield powers that are so dangerous?" Nyx enters Nicolette's core and places her hands against the outer shell, her eyes glowing red as the core also gleams red. "Whoa!" Nicolette stares at her abdomen, seeing the glowing red coming from inside, and her veins begin to turn that familiar shade of red. "Nyx, what are you doing!?" Nyx ignores Nicolette and keeps pushing the mana through her body. One of Nicolette's eyes turns red while the other stays her normal golden color.

Once Nyx is satisfied, she backs off of Nicolette's core and enters her mind, connecting with her body and being able to see what she sees. "Here's what we're gonna do since you're so unsure of yourself."

"Nyx, I feel weird, and it's like half of my body doesn't belong to me." Nicolette could feel her anxiety rising as she held onto the scythe, her palms becoming sweaty, making it hard to hold on.

"Just relax. In a way, half your body doesn't belong to you. I am controlling most of your body, but you can still see what I am about to teach you. This is my method of training and the easiest course to take." Nicolette felt like throwing up. "Keep it in, sweetheart. You'll get used to it, and besides, we're just getting started."