Chapter 10

On a bright and sunlit morning, Merida and Y/N found themselves in the castle's library, a place that held the wisdom and knowledge of generations. Elinor had requested that Y/N read certain books that would aid in his understanding of the kingdom and its history.

As they peruse the shelves, Merida ran her fingers over the spines of the ancient tomes, each one a portal to the past. "Mum mentioned that she had some books in mind for you to read."

Y/N nodded, his curiosity piqued. "I'm eager to learn more about this place."

Together, they searched for the books that Elinor had requested. Merida's fiery hair spilled over her shoulders as she reached for a thick tome on Scottish clans, her fingers brushing against the aging leather cover.

"Here's one of them," Merida said, handing the book to Y/N. "This should give you a good start."

Y/N accepted the book with gratitude, his eyes scanning the pages with interest. As they continued their search, Merida came across another book that seemed to catch her eye.

"MacLeod," she read aloud, a clan name that held significance. She motioned for Y/N to join her and pointed at the clan's symbol—a bear.

The same bear as the one on YN's belt buckle.

"Look," she said, her voice filled with discovery. "The MacLeod clan has a long and storied history. And here, it shows their family tree."

Y/N couldn't help but feel a jolt of surprise. He studied the page with growing intrigue as Merida turned to the family tree, tracing her finger along the names.

Y/N leaned in closer, his eyes following her finger. The family tree displayed generations of MacLeod lineage, each name meticulously recorded. But one name stood out to him, not because it was circled in red ink, but because it was crossed out with a heavy line.

Y/N's eyes widened as he read the name that had been marked out—his father's.

Merida noticed the surprise in his expression and the pained questions that filled his eyes. She turned to him, her voice gentle. "Y/N, is everything alright?"

Y/N hesitated for a moment, his thoughts racing. The revelation had left him bewildered and unsure of what to say. "My father?"

Merida nodded, her hand resting on his arm in a reassuring gesture. "It seems there's more to your past than you might have known, Y/N."

The castle library offered them a moment of respite as Merida and Y/N continued to pore over the dusty tomes and manuscripts, seeking answers that had eluded them for generations. The book on the MacLeod clan had proven to be a double-edged sword, revealing both a rich and storied history and the dark shroud of a mystery.

Y/N ran his fingers over the aging pages, his eyes never straying far from the word "MacLeod." "The MacLeods were said to be the most fearsome of all the clans, but after the last king's death, something unknown happened, and they vanished over eighty years ago."

Merida leaned closer, her fiery hair casting a warm glow over the ancient text. "It's as if they were wiped from history's slate. But the question is, why? What could have led to their disappearance?"

Y/N reclined in his chair, frustration etched into his features. "We've hit a dead end. There's no one left who could know about this, and we don't have access to the clan's records."

Merida, however, was not one to give up easily. Her vibrant eyes sparkled with a revelation. "Hold on a minute. There's someone who might have the answers we're looking for—the Witch."