3. The one I let get away

𝓘𝓷 𝓓𝓸𝔀𝓷𝓽𝓸𝔀𝓷 𝓐𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓷𝓽𝓪,

When Dee missed the first call from Shay, she blamed it on her just being busy. Then she missed another, then another and so on. Shay even waited for mail, but there was nothing that came from Dee.

Shay had feared something had happened to Mercedes. She knew Dee joined the infantry, and she hated the possibility of her never coming home. So, when she hadn't heard from her in over 2 months she feared the worst.

It was the spring break of her sophomore year, Shay had finally decided to go back to Milou. Only to talk to Dee's father, Benzo, to see if he knew anything about Mercedes.

When he told her the last time he spoke to Dee was about two weeks ago, Shay felt a since of relief. However, she also realized that Dee was deliberately ignoring her. That relief quickly turned to anger, she didn't understand why Mercedes was ignoring her. As much as she wanted to know why, she wouldn't force it.

When she came back to Atlanta, Miricle noticed the difference in her friend. When she asked what happened, Shayden bursted into tears. The one thing she told Mercedes not to do, she did.

She hurt her.

Had her beyond worried for months for no reason. She had stopped communicating with her and didn't even have the decency to explain her actions. Shay thought their friendship was worth a lot more than that. Their relationship, was short-lived but the ending of it took a big toll on Shay.

So, when she recognized the person in front of her, she froze. The whole world froze, Selena was was saying something to her but it didn't register. Shay just stood there, looking at Dee look at her.

"Shay", the sound of her voice brought her back to the present.

All that hurt just came rushing back.

Shay turned on her heels and hurried off to the nearest exit. Not even thinking about her fiancé, who she had came with. She just needed to be as far away from Mercedes as possible.

"Shay!", Dee yelled after her, trying to get her to stop.

Shay kept going, she would've started running if she wasn't wearing heels. "Shay stop please!"

"What?! What the fuck do you want Mercedes!", Shay's eyes were glassy, she was trembling. On the verge of having an episode, it was all so overwhelming. She hadn't dealt with an episode in a while and she was trying to control it.

Dee saw it, she always did. The only difference now was that she knew how it felt. "Shay calm down."

Triggered. The words "calm down" coming from Mercedes mouth set Shay off. "Calm down?! You want me to calm down?! Fuck you Mercedes! THIS IS FUCKING CALM! THIS IS AS FUCKING CALM AS IT GETS WITH YOU! YOU FUCKING GHOSTED ME!", the tears were now streaming down her face. She was happy she didn't wear makeup tonight.