39: Final Chapter

Reminder: Josiah is Tarryn's BFF and her cousin. He hasn't been in the book for quite a while so I thought I'd remind you :)

+++

Tarryn ..." Haisley whispered, "tell them to leave. Tell them to leave me alone." I crouched down, reaching out to touch him. He shrugged away, shaking his head. "Don't, don't touch me. Everything I touch ... it, it doesn't end well."

"Not true. I know you might not think that right now, but it is the farthest thing from the truth."

Haisley shook his head, refusing to believe it. "No. I am just like him. I wanted to only help. I thought, I thought that he wanted to find you to be a family. He never hit me, he had tendencies for manipulation but - but I didn't know he'd do this ... she's dead because of me."

I shook my head fiercely. "Haisley, it's not your fault. It's all Wayne's. Don't let that evil man make you miserable with guilt when this is his own doing. Please, please let us help."

He stayed quiet, tears slipping down his cheeks. He held the bottle of whiskey tighter. I reached out and took his hand, ducking my head to meet his gaze. "Let us help you, Haze."

"Okay. Okay. Help me, please."

Carson descended and snatched the bottle from him, handing it back to Trey. "Hey buddy," he kneeled down, "did you take anything else or just drinking?"

"I took more of my anxiety medication."

"Okay, how many do you think?" Carson asked, checking his pulse. "Your heart is good."

"Just two or three," he mumbled, shrugging. Carson nodded and said that he would be okay but to never do it again. Skyler took his place and cupped my twins face, wiping the fresh tear that ran down his cheek.

"Haisley, you are one of us now," he spoke with kindness and love. "We are your family. You have us now, forever and always."

June knelt beside Skyler, offering her hand. "C'mon, dad brought home some chocolate cake when he went grocery shopping today. Chocolate cake makes everything a little better."

Haisley nodded and took our sister's hand. I stood as they did, glancing at Matthew. He smiled but it faltered and he quickly looked away. I felt a pang in my heart, worry seeping into my veins.

He walked out of the room ahead of June and Haisley but I followed him, taking his hand. "Matty, what's wrong?" I whispered, giving him a sidelong glance.

"Nothing, Tarryn."

"Matthew, don't lie to me," I snapped quietly, squeezing his hand. "What's wrong?"

"I wish I could have protected you and Haisley. I don't know, I just feel sad and angry and ... and helpless. Fuck, I hate feeling helpless."

I squeezed his hand. "I know how you feel, Matty. Helpless ... but you're not, you know? You are here for me and everyone else. Sometimes that's all you can do."

He pulled me closer, gently, and kissed the side of my head. "I love you, bub. Never ever forget that."

"I love you too, Matty."

"And I promise to look out for Haisley too."

"Good, I think he'll need it."

+++

In the quiet of my room, the walls seemed to close in with each restless step, the air heavy with the weight of an unspoken turmoil. Anxiety, like a relentless shadow, coiled around my soul, constricting with each passing moment. The dim glow of midnight cast elongated shadows, dancing in macabre patterns across the room.