I'd noticed that Layla had hung around me more. Almost like she was trying to keep me from doing something stupid.

Our conversations became even more autistic than before.

We were on the game grinding for Peter Griffin in Fortnite, when she suddenly said, "You're my homie for real, and if you were a girl, we would probably be gay for each other."

"Lowkey true," I snickered. I could tell there were a lot of things unspoken from that statement. Spoiler alert, it's not because she's into girls. But I didn't know if I was right or not. Who knew, really?

I can't remember what we talked about after that, but I knew it got even more out of pocket. Yeah, that's how stupid it was.

***

The next day, though, was pretty interesting.
The group met up at the halfway point between our houses and our school like we usually did. Vali walked ahead with his harem in tow while Layla and I hung behind.

The two of us were sleep deprived from our all-nighter yesterday.

"It's all for Peter Griffin," I yawned.

"Gotta go all in for him," Layla agreed tiredly.

"Why do you two look so tired?" Trinity asked.

"Y/N is a bad influence," Layla said. "I used to sleep normally on school nights."

"It's my fault?" I said with mock outrage. "Who was the one saying 'Never back down, never what?' whenever I was about to hop off? 'Can't end on a loss,' she said."

She smiled lazily. "Huh, weird, I can't remember."

I mimicked her and rolled my eyes playfully. "Yeah, okay buddy."

Trinity sighed, nervous sweat trickling down her neck. "Layla really is just the female version of him, huh?"

"We're just like Great Saiyaman 1 and 2," Layla said, making me snort amusedly.

Vali smiled at us, chuckling light-heartedly. For some reason, that annoyed me.

When we got to school, groups of girls were whispering amongst themselves.

"Did you see that new student?"

"Yeah, isn't he, like, super hot?"

"He's tall and has fine ass muscles!"

"But I heard he got kicked out of multiple schools because he got into too many fights and hospitalized all the kids."

"Bitch, please, that's barely a bad thing. He can protect me and hold me with those bulky arms. I bet he has a big—"

I turned them out.

But at the moment, a sudden feeling of both dread and excitement course through me.

I looked at Vali, who looked at me. Both of us knew what was up.

"Do you think—"

"Yep."

With unspoken agreement, we began to sprint, hoping to get out of here.

"We need to find him before he burns this place down!" I said frantically.

Vali began to say something, but a grayish-blue blur separated me from him. It took me a moment to realize that I was lugged on someone's shoulder like a sack of potatoes.

And the one carrying me was my cousin.

"Heleakala? What the fuck have you done now?!"

(He's too cool I couldn't find a picture of him)