Revealing Details

RILEY

"Where's that magazine?"

Cath stops flipping through a thick binder of bridesmaid dresses that we'd borrowed from a local bridal store. "Which one? The Knot? Brides? Or Vogue Bride?"

"Uhh, the one with that dress I liked. I thought I listed it in my planner but I guess not." I scan through the special wedding planner I'd bought with the white vegan leather binding.

"You liked at least a dozen dresses. Let's see." She sets the binder aside and rifles through a stack of magazines. "I think it's this one."

She pulls one out, which sends a stack of papers, pens, and post-it notes tumbling off the coffee table. It's Saturday, and we're at Gabriel's house, in the living room.

But we aren't just in the room, we've taken it over. Consumed it with wedding planning stuff. Made it our bitch.

Cath held out the magazine. "Page 37, right?"

I quickly flip through it. "Um, maybe. I like this a lot." I smooth my hand over the page, admiring the flowing A-line gown with lace and crystal detail. "Isn't it gorgeous? I love the sweetheart neckline. I'm not sure if it's showing too much skin, though. I have a feeling that Gabriel's family might be a bit conservative. And my dad won't want me showing the goods in church."

"Mmhmm, Italian and Irish Catholics can be like that," Cath mumbles, already buried again in the binder. "Damn puritans."

"What do you think for your bridesmaid dress? Blush pink or navy blue?" I hold up fabric swatches, trying to envision the colors on her. "Or are these too boring for you? You're the only bridesmaid so you can be as wild as you want."

She looks up and adjusts her glasses. Usually she wore contacts, but today she was in an outfit that she dubbed "Dark Academy." It's like something a sexy Wednesday Addams would wear, and the black-rimmed glasses and pigtails are nice touches.

"You don't have anyone from home you want in the wedding party?"

I sigh and shake my head. "My friend Lorna always swore she'd be in my wedding. But..."

My voice trails off. I can't believe I'm planning a wedding without Lorna. Then again, I can't believe that I've lived months, no, years, without her.

Cath leans over and squeezes my hand. "Listen, let's have a little tribute to her at the wedding. It'll just be between us. What do you think she would've wanted to wear? I'll wear that."

Since I was sitting with my back against the sofa, I roll onto the floor, laughing at the though. "She would've wanted to wear something sexy to show off her boobs."

Cath, who is stretched out on the sofa, pokes my butt with her foot. "I don't have a lot in that department. But, I could wear a padded bra or those fake implants or something I guess."

For some reason, that makes me laugh harder. Conversation then devolves into discussing a scenario where we both wore the sluttiest possible dresses. We're pretending to walk down the aisle together, wagging our tongues and laughing hysterically, when Gabriel and his father walk in.

"Urp," I grunt, and accidentally bump into Cath. I'm such a dork.

Gabriel is in the doorway, wearing a small smile, surveying the total destruction of his living room.

I try again and clear my throat. "Hi sweetie. And, hello, Mr. Greco."

"Is that you, Catherine?" Gennaro booms, tilting his head. "You've turned into a beautiful woman. Just like your mother."