An Unexpected Visitor

Gabriel

"Could this week get any worse?" I stare at the coffee in my mug. "For fuck's sake. First the shooting, then Riley."

Alessandro, who has come up from Miami, nods. He arrived only a few minutes ago, and we're in the casual chat part of our meeting. It's ten in the morning, and we're sitting in the outdoor lounge chair on my terrace, catching up on everything but the issue at hand. "When's she getting out of the hospital?"

"Later this afternoon, thankfully. She's been in there three days and she's climbing the walls." She claims she's going to work when she's at my house, but we'll see about that. I want her relaxing and resting as much as possible."

Here's what I don't tell him: Riley's illness has shaken me to my core. Having her practically collapse in my arms, crying from pain, seeing her in the hospital bed looking small and powerless — it's all sent my alpha male brain into overdrive.

"I know when Gia had pneumonia and went to the hospital, it was really hard." The pain in Alessandro's eyes is evident, an uncharacteristic window into his soul. We're not men that typically reveal our emotions to one another. But I know his love for his wife is boundless.

As it should be.

"Hospitals are places to stay out of." He shakes his head.

"Amen to that." I keep thinking about what it's going to take to make sure Riley's healthy. A personal trainer, a nutritionist, regular doctor's checkups. This situation with her kidney has spooked me.

I don't want to lose her.

"Anyway." Alessandro blows out a breath. "We've narrowed down the Russians' safe house. It's actually in Savannah. We're going in today. I made sure my guy up there is aware that we need to eradicate everyone in that house."

I take a sip of my drink, the liquid bitter as it slides down my throat. "We're sure it's a safe house, and not a family home? I don't want innocent lives lost. There's been enough of that already."

One of the victims in the restaurant shooting was a busboy. And as sociopathic as I can be when it comes to gangsters' lives, I am gutted when someone unrelated is caught in our deadly game.

Alessandro nods. "A hundred percent sure. We've been surveilling it with the help of some local authorities."

"The cops in Savannah?" I raise an eyebrow.

"One better than that. An FBI agent."

I rub the back of my neck, wondering if this is getting too complicated. "Interesting."

"Don't worry. He's on our payroll. His great uncle's a made man."

Not unheard of. There's a fine line between criminals and cops.

"Fine. When's it going to happen?"

Alessandro checks his watch. "In about six hours."

I do some mental calculations. In two hours, I'll pick Riley up from the hospital. She's having her final exam with the doctor now. Probably she could've been released yesterday, and would have had she been in the regular ward, but I privately insisted she stay another day, just to make sure everything was okay.

"I'll be here. You? You know you're welcome to stay."

Alessandro shakes his head. "I have a flight to New York later today. Stopping here to talk with you was just a quick layover. Figured it would be better than a phone call."

My phone buzzes.

"In speaking of phones," he points to my cell on the table.

We smirk at each other.