M3, Chapter 6

Beginne am Anfang

Filch: There'll be no need for ghosts, Professor...

(Filch extends a crooked finger. High up, near the ceiling, the Fat Lady cowers in a portrait not her own, trembling)

Dumbledore: Dear lady. Who did this to you?

Fat Lady: Eyes like the devil he's got. And a soul as dark as his name. It was him, Headmaster. The one they talk about. He's here. Somewhere in the castle. Sirius Black!

(As the students react, Dumbledore's voice cuts through)

Dumbledore: Secure the castle, Mr. Filch. The rest of you... to the Great Hall.

-----Time Skip-----

(Hogwarts is begin reinforced. Clock tower door: Great groaning tumblers fall. Spindles rotate. Cylinders one after another fire into place. Windows: Iron spikes, sharp as razors, rise instantly. One by one, deep in the distance, the lights of the Great Hall go out. Dementors appear, covering frame, then separate like a curtain)

Great Hall

(The Great Hall is completely silent, an ocean of sleeping bags lie on the floor and while everyone sleeps Harry is lying awake, staring at the net of stars glimmering beyond the highest window. A gentle creak is heard and Harry's eyes shift, see Snape pass through the great doors, converge with Dumbledore)

Snape: I've done the dungeons, Headmaster. No sign of Black. Nor anywhere else in the castle.

Dumbledore: I didn't really expect him to linger.

Snape: Remarkable feat, don't you think? To enter Hogwarts castle on one's own, completely undetected...

(Dumbledore gazes at the students, refusing to take the bait)

Snape: You may recall, prior to the start of term, I did express my concerns when you appointed Professor --

Dumbledore: I do not believe a single professor inside this castle would have helped Sirius Black enter it, Severus.

(As Snape's eyes glitter darkly, Dumbledore gazes out over the slumbering students)

Dumbledore: No... I feel quite confident the castle is safe. And I'm more than willing to let the students return to their Houses. But tomorrow. For now, let them sleep...

(As Dumbledore's gaze finds Harry, he shuts his eyes, feigns sleep)

Dumbledore: It's astonishing what the body can endure when the mind allows itself to rest.

Hogwarts Castle Grounds

(The Whomping Willow idly casts off a few withering leaves)

Sir Cadogan: What villains are these that trespass upon my private lands!

Gryffindor Common Room

(The Fat Lady has been replaced by a painting of a tiny knight: Sir Cadogan. Stalking a bare stretch of grassas his pony grazes nearby, he brandishes his sword wildly as a group of Gryffindors regard him warily)

Sir Cadogan: Who dares challenge Sir Cadogan! Back, you scurvy braggarts! You rogues!

Seamus: He's barking mad!

Dean: What d'you expect? After what happened to the Fat Lady, none of the other pictures would take the job.

Neville: But he keeps changing the password. Twice just this morning! I've taken to keeping a list.

(As Neville holds up a wrinkled piece of parchment, Y/n, Harry, Ron and Hermione begin to exit)

Sir Cadogan: Farewell, comrades! If ever you have need of noble heart and steely sinew, call upon Sir Cadogan!