M2, Chapter 2

Privet Drive - Dursley's House

(At the dursley's house, Harry is sitting by the window of his room on the second floor. Harry pages through a scrapbook and stops on a moving photo of Y/n, Ron and Hermione. Harry jumps as Hedwig squawks. She pecks at the lock slung through her cage door, then glowers at Harry)

Harry: I can't, Hedwig. I'm not allowed to use magic outside of school. Besides, if Uncle Vernon-

(At the sound of the name, Hedwig squawks again, louder)

Vernon: Harry Potter!

Harry: Now you've done it.

(In the kitchen petunia puts the finishing touches to a pudding of whipped cream and sugared violets, Vernon struggles with Dudley's bow tie, all the while glowering at Harry)

Vernon: I warned you. If you can't control that bloody bird, it'll have to go.

Harry: She's bored. If I could just let her out for an hour or two-

Vernon: And have you sending secret messages to your freaky little friends? No, sir.

Harry: But I haven't gotten any messages. From any of my friends. Not one. All summer.

Dudley: Who'd want to be friends with you?

Vernon: I should think you'd be more grateful. We raise you since you were a baby, give you food off our table, even let you have Dudley's second bedroom... purely out of the goodness of our hearts.

Dudley: I thought he got the second bedroom because Mum was afraid he'd turn us into dung beetles if you put him back in the cupboard under the stairs.

(Petunia stops cold, exchanges a dark look with Uncle Vernon, then sees Dudley extending a finger for the pudding)

Petunia: Not yet, popkin. That's for when the Masons arrive.

Vernon: Which should be any moment. Now. Let's run through our schedule one more time. Petunia, when the Masons get here, you will be...

Petunia: In the lounge, waiting to welcome them graciously to our home.

Vernon: Good. And Dudley?

Dudley: I'll be waiting to open the door.

Vernon: Excellent.

(He turns to Harry)

Vernon: And you?

Harry: I'll be in my bedroom, making no noise and pretending I don't exist.

Vernon: Too right you will. With any luck, this could well be the day I make the biggest deal of my career.

(The doorbell rings. Instantly, Uncle Vernon shoves Harry out of the kitchen and into the hallway)

Vernon: Upstairs! Hurry!

(Harry enters his room and turns then stops dead... a tiny creature with bat-like ears and bulging green eyes is jumping onhis bed as if it were a trampoline. This is Dobby)

Dobby: Harry Potter! Such an honor it is!

Harry: What... Who are you?

Dobby: Dobby, sir. Dobby the house elf.

Harry: I see. Not to be rude or anything, but this isn't a great time for me to have a house-elf in my bedroom.

Dobby: Oh, yes, sir, Dobby understands. It's just that, Dobby has come to tell you... it is difficult, sir... Dobby wonders where to begin.