“I don't...” tears fell, “... I don't know if I can't tell you” I put a hand to my chest.

“Ophelia...”

I sniffed.

“I think you should watch this” I whispered and passed him the tablet.

Aiden stared at the thumbnail for a few seconds before pressing play.

And the plan is set.

It was a video... one I'd forced Rudolph James and his daughters to make... saying what I wanted them to say and making Aiden here believe everything I wanted him to believe.

I stole glances at him as I dabbed at my eyes. He looked angry, confused, hurt, broken... all the bad stuff a man who'd just been told his sperm was sold to fertilize another woman... the same one he was supposed to marry today, would feel.

I thought it was going to be tricky to get him to look at the documents again but Aiden clumsily set the tablet down on a table somewhere and reached for the documents from me.

His eyes scanned through for a few seconds then he saw exactly what was supposed to break him, and it did, completely and perfectly. Maybe too much... because his eyes narrowed into dangerous slits, and from the way he had clutched onto the papers, it wouldn't surprise me if he flipped a table or anything.

But I stepped back just in case.

“She knew...” he let out, “All this time, trying so hard and insisting to help me find my child... she knew. And yet she...”

“I'm sure she panicked, Aiden,” I said slowly and carefully, “That's why she asked your surrogate to lie about Roman.”

He met my eyes. For a second, a huge fraction of doubt began to cross his face. But I had to kill it, and fast.

Thank goodness I came prepared.

“Think about it... how out of all the other companies she could apply to for a job... it was yours she did. And how she didn't mind how close Iris got to the child. Any mother should be concerned about strangers getting close to their kid. But not her. Not Breanna. Because she knew Roman was yours all this while.”

His eyes moved around the room.

“And her family” I spoke again getting his eyes back on me, “How they just easily accepted you into their lives. Because they've all known Roman is yours. And yet they—”

“They nothing.”

Now that was a tone I'd never heard him use before. It was beyond dangerous... and in any other situation, I'd be thrilled. But not in this one where he looked like he'd caught on to my lies and was going to rip off my head.

“They nothing, Ophelia” he repeated.

“Aiden, please. I—”

“She did” he finished.

Oh?

Ohhhh...

“Her family had nothing to do with this” he shook his head. “They're genuinely nice people. No one can fake be that genuine.”

Well...

“But Breanna... she... she...”

Was he going to cry?