(Hermione looks at Y/n very anxiously. Y/n starts to step back, when Buckbeak ducks his beak. Hagrid sighs, relieved)

Hagrid: Well done, Y/n! Go on. Give 'im a pat.

(Tentatively, Y/n reaches out, lays his hand on Buckbeak's fierce beak. The class claps. Y/n smiles)

Hagrid: Look at that! I reckon he migh' let yeh ride 'im!

(Y/n's smile drops)

Y/n: Excuse me, what?

Hagrid: We'll jus' set yeh behind the wing joint. Mind yeh don' pull any feathers out. He won' like that.

(Hagrid lifts Y/n high, drops him onto Buckbeak's back, and before Y/n's settled, Hagrid slaps Buckbeak's hindquarters)

Hagrid: Off yeh go!

(As Buckbeak gallops forward, Y/n slides scarily back, giant wings unfold, huge and powerful, and -- WHOOSH! -- they soar into the air. Rising higher. And higher. And higher. Gradually, Y/n loosens his hold on Buckbeak's neck. Losing himself in the joy of flying. Smiling at the sight of his and Buckbeak's shadow racing across the grass below.

Circling over the Whomping Willow, past Hogwarts castle, and then swooping, with heart-stopping speed, over the Black Lake, Buckbeak's talons tickling the smooth glass of the water, summoning the giant squid to the surface briefly.

Hagrid whistles then, and Buckbeak wheels, beating his way back to the paddock, galloping to a halt. As Y/n slides off, the class cheers, all except Draco, who narrows his eyes maliciously)

Hagrid: Good work, Y/n! How 'm I doin' me firs' day?

Y/n: Fantastic... Professor.

(They both grin, when Draco pushes past them roughly, strides toward Buckbeak)

Draco: Give me a go at that thing. If Graves can do it, it must be easy. You're not dangerous at all, are you, you great ugly brute --

Hagrid: Malfoy! No!

(In a flash, Buckbeak's steely talons slash down. Malfoy freezes. Looks down at the blood blossoming on his robes. Shrieks. Instantly, Y/n dashes forward. Buckbeak whips around, raises its talons and -- seeing Y/n -- lowers them. Ducks its beak. Y/n realizing what he's done... breathes)

Draco: It's killed me! It's killed me!

Hagrid: Calm yerself! Yer fine... jus'a scratch...

(Hagrid looks, a deep gash glistens on Draco's limp arm)

Hermione: Hagrid. He's got to be taken to a hospital. I'll go with you, if you like --

Hagrid: No. I'm the teacher. You all... you all just... Class dismissed!

(And with that, Hagrid -- looking shaken -- swoops up Malfoy, flops him over his shoulder, and lumbers toward the castle)

Great Hall

(As Lavender and Parvati huddle over a dozen teacups, Avidly interpreting patterns in hushed voices, Draco, arm bound in a sling, holds court before a clot of Slytherins)

Pansy: Does it hurt terribly, Draco?

Draco: It comes and goes. Still... I consider myself lucky. According to Madam Pomfrey, another minute or two... and I could've lost the arm.

(Y/n, Harry, Ron and Hermione watch from the Gryffindor table)

Ron: The little git. He's really laying it on thick, isn't he?