Chapter 30: Madeline

Start from the beginning

When she entered, she immediately felt out of place. Everything was pristine and expensive. Even though her father was quite well off, she could never get used to this kind of lifestyle. Especially when her mom was on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Squaring her shoulders, Madeline sauntered up to the front desk as confidently as possible. She prayed that Taeyhyung or any of the boys had informed the staff that she was arriving. The last thing she needed was to be kicked out for being a saesang.

"Hi," She greeted, nervously. The woman stopped typing and flickered her bored gaze to Madeline. She was pretty with curly black hair and a golden tan. "I—I'm here to see some people. I don't know if they told you I was coming."

The receptionist plastered a professional smile on her face, "Can I take your name?"

"Madeline Smith," She replied, her fingers anxiously tapping down on the desk.

"Ah, yes. They are on floor nine, room 15. They're waiting for you." She said with forced politeness. Her attitude changed the moment she knew why Madeline was there.

Madeline thanked the employee and headed over to the lift. Her heart was hammering in her chest violently, threatening to explode. She was beyond afraid of what was to come but was also excited to speak to them.

The lift took its sweet time heading upwards. A couple was also in the small space with her. Neither of them could keep their hands off each other. It made Madeline feel quite uncomfortable but also happy for the couple. They had to be soul mates. The look in their eyes only came from people who were around their soul mates.

A part of her longed for that. She wanted what everyone else had. Well, everything but the heartbreak.

She exited the lift once it reached floor 9 and began her search for room 15. The corridor was long, filled with corners leading to new parts of the building. It was like a labyrinth.

When she spotted the room, she froze. This was it. She hadn't seen all of them together since she was in hospital. Being in a room with all seven of them felt overwhelming. She couldn't wait to see them though. There was something about their presence that calmed and excited her.

She forced her hand up and gently knocked on the door. Madeline waited with bated breath as rustling was heard on the other side of the door. Not even a second later, the door was thrown open to reveal a disheveled Jimin. His smile widened at the sight of her and his arms opened as if he was going to hug her. Thinking better of it, he reluctantly lowered his arms and pouted slightly.

Madeline felt bad. She knew he wanted to hug her—to embrace his soul mate. But they weren't there yet.

"Hi," She muttered, shyly. Jimin's face returned to its natural bright glory. That man had a smile that could blind anybody.

"Hi, please come in," He said, inviting her into the room. She stepped past her, trying to keep a bit of distance from him. He noticed but didn't comment on it. A flash of pain soared down the bond. Madeline fought to keep her expression polite and neutral. She didn't want him to see how much his hurt affected her.

The others were all dotted around the room, trying to act casual. She would have assumed that if it weren't for the way everything about them was unnatural. Namjoon was holding a book upside down as if he had scrambled to pick it up. Hobi and Jin were in the small kitchen the hotel provided, stirring their drinks. The two youngest were sitting on the couch anxiously, their legs bouncing up and down. Yoongi was the only one who appeared calm and natural. His head was resting on the seat, his eyes partially closed.

At her arrival, all eyes fell on her. She squirmed under their intense and longing gazes. She hated attention—a lot. Having seven powerful stares on her was unnerving.