Helpless

***

“Reid? What are you doing here? Someone from your work just called me-”

“Ignore that.” Spencer shrugged.

What? Are you feeling okay?” Cassidy asked with concern as she laid a hand on the young doctor's forehead.

“I-I’m fine.” Spencer stammered as he felt his cheeks burn.

Cassidy leaned past Reid and checked outside her door. “What if they followed you here?”

“They wouldn't do that. They don't think I'm stupid enough to get in contact with you again.”

Cassidy raised a brow, “Look Reid, you shouldn't be here. If-”

“I found out something new regarding your case.”

Cassidy’s eyes widened. “W-What?” Although Cassidy’s mind was spinning with horrible scenarios, she yanked Spencer Reid inside her apartment by the collar and closed the door behind him. The young doctor looked at her in surprise, but never made an attempt to stop her.

“Sit.”

Reid placed himself in the seat horizontal from the coffee table Cassidy had begun to pace around. “Before you begin... is this going to get you fired?”

Spencer momentarily faltered. Although he knew she was desperate for whatever information he could provide her, she also seemed to genuinely care about the impact sharing confidential information would have on him. He was almost… flattered by her concern, but his curiosity was a stronger emotion.

“Why would that matter?”

Cassidy stopped pacing and narrowed her eyes at the young genius. “I told you I was your friend, didn't I?”

Spencer took a moment to process this, “Well, yes, but after that call-”

“Will this get you fired?” Cassidy interrupted.

“Well…it's not exactly the kind of information that I would need to keep confidential. If anything, it involves your safety.”

Cassidy crossed the coffee table and sat herself next to Reid. “Am I in danger?”

“Well, if my profile is correct…the unsub may have gotten in contact with you already. He would want to involve himself in the investigation, but keep a safe enough distance from the FBI itself.”

Cassidy furrowed her brows, “You think he knows I'm being convicted for his crimes? Is he trying to taunt me?”

“Not exactly,” Reid started as he gestured rapidly with his hands.

“The unsub we are looking for would feel some remorse, but not enough to come clean. He would involve himself with you to try and understand your situation - to put himself in your shoes, and make himself relive the same experience out of guilt. However, he would never willingly disclose that he is guilty. Instead, he would wait until someone figured out his role. The only problem is, he's self destructive - and he doesn't know it. This could either be the end of him, or… you.”

“I know him?”

“It's a high probability. Has anyone you don't remember spoken to you?”

“No. I-... haven't really left the house.”

A look of realisation crossed Cassidy's face. Spencer furrowed his brows as he studied her with anticipation. “Wait…I went to the store. And a man approached me. But then you called me… and he disappeared.”

“He disappeared?” Reid asked sceptically as he furrowed his brows.

“Well…he left. And he never contacted me again. I kept thinking he would, but - he never did.”

Reid met Cassidy’s eyes and grabbed a hold of her hand. This stole her focus, and she turned all of her attention towards him. “If he ever contacts you again, call me. He could be dangerous. If I'm right, he's extremely self destructive, and that comes at the price of everyone around him.”

“Reid…I can't call you. Whoever that woman was-”

“Call me.”

“Okay...” Cassidy agreed sceptically.

As Reid started to leave, Cassidy sighed. “Are you okay?” He asked as he halted in front of the door with his hand still touching the cold metal.

“You mean other than the fact that the trial that determines my entire future is in two weeks?”

Reid thought about it for a moment, “Yes.”

“Well...I could go to jail,” Cassidy started.

Tears started to well up in Cassidy’s eyes, “and I've barely lived.”

“I-” Spencer cut himself off as he found himself nearing Cassidy. He pulled her in by the waist and gave her a quick hug before kissing her on the forehead and leaving her apartment.

Cassidy collapsed onto the couch and broke out into unruly sobs. She felt the air escape her throat, and her head started to pound. Her eyes swelled and her heart hurt. She was trapped. She didn't remember much about life before the coma, but she knew that she had never felt this lost before. Nobody could get her out of this. Not Spencer, not the BAU, not even herself.

Everything was out of her hands.

She was helpless.

***

sorry guys, this is more of a filler chapter, but spencer is a cutie here.

anyways, I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

-kat