Marked

Requested by AnnieK400

word count: 1,916

.·:*¨ ¨*:·.

You never thought you'd be shopping for baby clothes. Well, you'd planned on doing so eventually, but not now and certainly not alone.

You suppose you only have yourself to blame, since you didn't see the signs that your ex was cheating on you. You'd always said you would see the signs, since most of them are clear as day.

Apparently, the signs aren't as clear when it's happening to you.

The kicker is, he knew you were pregnant and he still continued to cheat. You gave him multiple chances for the sake of your child, but eventually it became too much, and you knew that if you stayed with a cheater, it would only make your daughter's life hell.

So, you left. You didn't have anywhere to go, mind you, but you knew anywhere was better than the apartment you shared.

You push aside thoughts of your ex and continue shopping. That was months ago. All in the past. You've moved on. You have a place to stay and new friends.

Granted, they're centuries old vampires and one of them is more than a little unhinged, but you wouldn't change a thing.

"Are you almost done? You've been staring at the same onesie for five minutes," a voice from beside you asks. You look up, momentarily surprised. You forgot that you've dragged Josh along.

"Oh, yes, sorry," you apologize, carrying the basket of baby clothes to the front. You pay— well, the Mikaelson's pay— for them swiftly, and you're off.

"Listen, you know I love going places with you, but spending all day in a baby store isn't my idea of fun," Josh complains. You look up at him and wince apologetically.

"Yeah, sorry. Just got lost in thought."

"Your ex?"

You don't say anything. You're truly not hung up on him, you just wish things had played out differently. Things might've been easier if he was a one night stand as opposed to the man you wasted three years with who, in the end, dropped you for his mistress.

"I wish you would tell me his name. I only want to talk to him," Josh mumbles. This elicits a laugh from you.

"Right. Talk."

Josh grins down at you as the two of you step back into the compound, unsurprised to see Elijah pacing.

"You are late," he deadpans, glaring at Josh.