Complicated

word count: 1,422

ू ₒ ु

As you walk through the park, you absorb the full moon's light, letting it brush over your skin. You pass under the trees, smiling slightly.

You've always been a night person. You don't care for day. There are too many people, too much going on. Nighttime, however, is quiet. You can think for yourself, bask in the silence that accompanies the darkness.

Taking nighttime walks is one of your favorite activities. There's hardly anyone around, occasionally a few night runners, but they disappear as quickly as they come.

You turn your head as a jogger passes you, throwing an unsolicited glare in your direction. You sigh. That's one thing you hate about night. Everyone is always rude. As you continue your fast-paced walk through the park, you chuckle to yourself.

If this were a horror movie, this would be the scene where the victim turns and screams as the monster finally reaches its target.

Luckily, real life is nothing like the movies, and she never saw it coming.

As you watch the man finish off the last of his meal, you clear your throat behind him. He drops the woman's body and turns around, dabbing the corner of his lips with a piece of the woman's ripped sleeve.

Elijah Mikaelson. The oldest, wisest, and most noble of the Mikaelson siblings.

Which, honestly, doesn't say much.

He tosses the piece of fabric onto the body and you cross your arms lazily.

"Hello, Elijah. What brings you out here? Not really your neck of the woods," you remark.

"This woman tried to hex Hayley," he replies, nodding down to the jogger who had glared at you as she passed. You look down at the body, and step out of the pool of blood you were in.

"Well, now my shoes are ruined." Elijah picks up the body and tossing it in the pond. "That's a horrible cover-up."

"Well, it is better than leaving her on the sidewalk." You shrug in agreement and start off in the direction of your apartment. "Where are you going?"

"Home."

"Aren't you a tad curious as to why I'm here?" Elijah asks, following you.

"You were feeding," you shrug.

"Yes, but as you said, it's not really my 'neck of the woods'." You admit, you are curious, but you're not about to tell him that.

"Nah, not really. I'm tired."

"Niklaus would like to speak with you." You roll your eyes.

"I'm sure he would. Tell him he must submit a formal request via email— if he knows how to use it— and should expect a response within eight to ten business days." You continue walking at a leisurely pace, ignoring the sound of Elijah's footsteps behind you. Only when the sound of footsteps multiply do you turn around. Klaus has joined Elijah.