Chapter 13: Carl

Carl sat in his History class, feeling utterly bored, as Mrs Bell went on and on about Ravagog. He couldn't understand why they had to learn about it. He let out a long sigh and glanced to his left, where Oralie was busy chatting away with Calla. Unable to contain his curiosity, Carl whispered-shouted, "Hey Ora!" catching her attention. She turned towards him, a curious look on her face. "Yes?" she whispered back. Carl flashed a friendly smile and inquired, "What are you planning to do after school?" Oralie let out a small sigh before replying, "I have some lessons scheduled with my mom," she said. Carl nodded understandingly and turned his attention back to the board, trying to muster up some interest in the topic at hand.

As the bell rang to signal the end of the lesson, Carl quickly gathered his books and jumped up from his seat. He was eager to grab a quick bite to eat before his next class and he knew the cafeteria would be packed if he didn't hurry. As he made his way towards the door, he heard footsteps behind him and turned around to see Oralie following close behind.

"So, what are you doing after school?" Oralie asked him, looking up at him with a curious expression on her face. Carl paused for a moment, trying to think of what he had planned for the rest of the day. "Not sure," he finally replied with a shrug.

Oralie nodded, seeming unfazed by his lack of plans. "We can hang out tomorrow though," she suggested with a smile. Carl's face lit up at the idea. He had been hoping to spend more time with Oralie outside of school but had been too nervous to ask her. He smiled as he and Oralie entered the cafeteria, Oralie's blue eyes shining in the light.