𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟖

Start from the beginning

"I give you my word."

"Do you wish for me to prepare a bath or shower, Your Grace?" The same maid from yesterday, Eleanor, breaks the silence on the way to my chambers. Her scar evoking this morning's remembrance.

I observed, during breakfast, that it's true that no servant looks or even talks to the King, unless they are spoken to first. It must be true then.

"A bath will do, thank you."

Some have been robbed from their ability to speak, and left with a grim scar acting as a choker around their throats. This morning at breakfast, I was served by a maid who's face will forever be stained with the scar going from her left ear to the upper lip. Others have probably touched the King without permission and are left with an equal workload as those who still have two hands to work with.

Turning at a corner, I'm met with a butler waiting in front of my chambers, and I let out an exasperated breath. Today has afore proven to be more difficult to handle than what I had anticipated. Hours upon hours of converting and debating with these political leaches almost made me agree to their wishes for the sole pleasure of ending the meeting as soon as possible. My skull is on the verge of cracking open with the migraine hammering against it in steady heartbeats. My toes feel swollen in my heels, and see most likely as red as my lipstick. And my poor breasts are begging to be freed from this uncomfortable dress that I had to wear for the sake of my reputation among the nobles of this place. An irking sweatiness moist in the valley of them.

"Your Highness Pandora," the wrinkled fish smiles kindly, "Lady Libra has invited to her chambers to help you prepare for your departure."

"My departure?" If I recall it correctly, I'm only set to travel to Hilas in a week's time."

"She says she wants to discuss your attire for the travel."

"At what time am I expected?"

"Whenever you wish between now and diner, Your Highness."

I resist the yawn coming up, and push my doors open.

"Very well, thank you Sir."

Shortly after I'm undressed, Eleanor leaves the room to get bathing supplies, and I finally have to chance to take out my veil from under my pillow. This early morning, a nightmare isn't the only thing I woke up to. The veil I dropped in the woods was somehow neatly folded on my nightstand, a pristine scent of gardenia lingering on its silk surface. The vexation I felt this morning upon discovering that someone trespassed the doors of my room leaves a bitter aftertaste on the tip of my tongue. I take a breath of malaise and retire in the bathroom, waiting for Eleanor to come with my soaps and scented oils. It's of no matter, I'll take care of him afterwards and make sure he stays out of my way if he decides to reappear again.

The steady rhythm at which Eleanor massages my scalp lets my stiff shoulders fall back against the ivory bathtub. The floating petals of sweet jasmine surround me in a soft floral atmosphere. I tried to tell her I'm perfectly able to wash my own hair, but she insisted on doing it for me.

"May I ask how you started to work here? I've heard that the staff here is meticulously chosen and has to go through harsh trials."To test your obedience, I ask when the sound of her pulsing blood becomes perturbing. Her accelerating heartbeat giving away the series of question that expectantly lay on her mind. She hesitates before answering, and pauses the circular movement of her fingertips. A cloud of damp fog breezes at close proximity of my ear when she loudly exhales.

"Three years ago, I came with the House of Eos as the daughter of the Minister of Financial Affairs. I was chosen by the King as a to work here as a personal maid, at the Capital of House Tarak." She responds, going back to heedlessly rinsing my hair. Its long streaks being tugged back from my face with the flow of water running over my face and roots.

I pull my knees against my chest, my gaze following the white petals of freesia surfing the waves of my movements, while the amethyst lavender pearls let themselves immerse in the warm water.

"What did he gain out of it?"I ask again, my chin resting on my knees.

"Half of my monthly allowance goes directly to my family back home. And with me at his court, the King secured some business alliance with my family. I don't know much more than that."

I'd heard a similar story from the Head Maid at home. How she was exchanged as a noble child from the Silver Scale Clan for a couple of miles of ocean land. No matter how many years since the human Revolution - C.C. 745 years after the creation of the Mortal Realm - mortal trade is not planning on leaking out of our system any time soon. For it makes up the greater part of alliance systems between Houses and even Clans.

"Will you...ever be allowed to leave?"

"We all have a contract binding us to our workplace for a minimum of ten years. After our contract is expired we can choose between renewing it or demand a month worth of salary to start our own life, beyond these walls." She explains further, gently applying the conditioner to the tips of my locks. The floating clouds of damp created a mirage of silver in lose streaks of her dark hair.

Another seven years, she'll have to bear the core chilling atmosphere of this place for another seven years before she'll be allowed to make her own decisions in life, at the age of twenty-three. Not to forget the two-faced tyrannical presence roaming around every corning, like a plague spreading it's decease.

"Have you already decided what you'll do when that time comes?"

"Well," The warmness of its sound melding with the heat of the water washing out all residual hair mask, "If I were to find someone to share my life with by then, of course I'll leave and build my own home. But, until then, I'm planning on staying."

"Is there something keeping you here?"

"Apart from the familiarity of living here, I made some valuable friends whom I don't yet wish to say goodbye to."

Friends.

"How nice..." I murmur to myself, my wrinkled fingers playing with a flame of one of the candles lit next to the bath tub.

"May I ask something in return, Your Grace?" Eleanor wonders hesitantly, her eyes avoiding mine as she reaches for my glaucous dressing gown.

"Please do."

I stand up, before carefully stepping out on the soft material of the towel under my feet. Tying the dressing gown loosely around my body, I pretend not to notice the subtle widening of her nordic eyes when my naked self is left exposed against the chilling air. The same way they did when I first undressed in front of her, a short hour ago. A reaction I'm familiar enough with to comprehend that the shock of seeing me bare will never fade from her features, no matter whether or not she knows the story behind my scars.

Their stories don't ease their repellency.

At least she didn't mention the silver choker of lillie flowers, even though she ogled it for a solid quarter of the hour it took to bath and dress me. That, I am more than grateful for. Helping me dress in contemplating silence, she finally musters the courage to speak.

"Why did you leave everything you knew behind to come here, knowing you would be treated the way you are?"

I turn to her after locking the chain of my golden necklace. The long sleeve of my simple tulle dress falling back over my wrist when I let my arm fall back to my side. My half-up half-down hairstyle covering my bare shoulders reassuringly.

"There simply was nothing holding me back." I tell her as we walk out of my chambers, just in time to go see Lady Libra.