A Twist in the Tail (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

"Zane I can't believe I'm saying this. But if this works, you're a genius," Bev said, her breathing quickened. "Thanks?" Zane said, sounding a bit unsure. "Don't thank her yet. Only if this works," Neil warned. Zane might be trying to turn over a new leaf, but Neil would only accept it if he could get them out of there. But even if he did, how was he going to get out of there? After all, he still had to go through the loony doctor that he calls a dad, and Dr. Demon. ... Okay, maybe Kim's nicknames aren't too bad. It's a little catchy in this situation, Neil thought with a slight shrug.

"Boy I really hope there's a new spark plug in there," Will said, eyes wide.

"You didn't change clothes first?" Sam asked. "There's no time to change into a diving suit. My friends were in danger!" Lewis exclaimed. "Besides, there wasn't one aboard," Zane responded.

"I still say that if we had used our tails, we would've been long gone by then," Rikki told them. "No one was disagreeing with you, Rikki," Cleo said.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[In the moonpool, Rikki raises her clasped hands to her chin, she shakes her head at him with a raised eyebrow. Emma and Cleo look at him as if he were joking.]

Rikki: "If this is some trick."

"Well, she has every right not to believe him. I mean, I still don't," Kim shrugged. "After dealing with his pranks for months on end and then finding out he was involved with the trap, it was kind of hard for me to believe that he had a change of heart and wanted to help us," Rikki said a bit sheepish. "Can't blame you there. I'd have a hard time believing it too. I still do," Sam admitted.

"If it's a trick, then there's fixing to be one less person in this room!" Don yelled, his face red in fury. "Make it three," Terry glared at them, Zane gulped as he saw his girlfriend's dad's radiate anger.

Zane: shakes his head. "No trick." He looks to the entranceway, hearing Denman's voice echo as she gets closer with Harrison and the others. He backs away and whispers to them once more, one hand on his watch as he eyes it. "Get ready." The girls look at him once more before the mad doctor enters the room.

"I know you don't like to Rikki, but please, for once in your life, listen!" Terry begged. "Don't worry, dad. I was," Rikki said with a small smile.

Dr. Denman: walks back into the main room and looks at the girls. Harrison walks in behind her. "Ok. Who's going to be first?"

"No one! You stay away from them! Leave them alone!" Bev shrieked in hysteria.

"Get away from those girls," Neil fumed, no more smiles, no more games. He was not letting anyone mess with them.

"Did you think they were going to volunteer themselves? After you forced them to be there?" Bella scoffed with a shake of his head. They might feel hopeless, but mermaids weren't stupid. They weren't going to try and get it over with. They'd be as stubborn as possible as her parents always said.

"Hurry, Lewis!" Kim yelled. "Patience, young one," Mrs. Chatham said. "I'm out of patience. They need to get out of there, now!"

[Zane looks down at his watch and presses a button. On the outside of Mako, Lewis sat soaked from his dive in the driver seat as he too stares down at his watch, which turns out to be a communicating device. The device beeps, signaling for the plan to take action.]

"Paired watches? That's smart," Max said, a grin on his face. He knew this had to work. He believed this had to work. One thing he learned fifty years ago: magic always wins. Whether it's against the magic user, or with it, it always won. "Comes in handy when you get stuck on a desolated island with no signal," Zane remarked. "Yeah, that would've come in handy back then," Rikki muttered to herself in amusement.