O n e

September 1st, 1993

Like every year, the first of September a new year began at Hogwarts, School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. During the last twenty minutes for the Hogwarts Express departure, students were running, smiling and saying bye to their parents, full of excitement for going back to that gothic castle which was considered as their second home.

But this was not what Draco Malfoy thought while he was watching with disdain and irritation all the happiness issuing by every soul that walked past him. He hated being sorrounded by those miserable and unremarkable people - any adjective that didn't belong to him.

Before getting on the train, Draco met his friends, Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle, at the famous platform 9 ¾.

"Draco, we're here!" His two friends' voices forced his head to slowly turn towards the direction they came from, and he saw them among the crowd as they try to get noticed by waving their hands. With an annoyed mantle on his face, Draco marched over them.

Crabbe and Goyle had been his friends since the first year, they all were in Slytherin - the best house in Howgarts, according to them. That's why their friends were only Slytherin students. Knowing that they were at his service, helped Draco to feel powerful and superior above everybody, especially thanks to his pure blood.

"Hoy many times do I have to tell you to call me by my surname?" Draco snarled as he looks at both with bored eyes, halted his steps in front of them. His hand was shoved in the pocket of his pants, the other one around the handle of his baggage.

Not wanting to be called by his name was one of his obsessions. His ego made him think that he was on the top above everybody in the wizarding world, so if someone didn't call him by his surname this meant they had a bond. In his point of view, the name of a person was very personal, so much that he didn't want to be called or call someone else by their own name. Unless they deserved it.

"Right, sorry, how was your summer? Honestly, I'd rather spend more free days to sleep late." Crabbe said, on Draco's left as they walked to get on the train and take a seat.

"If it depended on me, school wouldn't even exist and-" Draco was suddenly interrupted by a boy shorter than him who hit his shoulder by mistake, "Watch where you're going, mudblood!" He said, mocking Harry Potter. Without speaking, Harry walked away. He already knew that standing against Malfoy was stupid. "And you must answer when a superior talks to you, Potter!"

After three years, it was clear to everyone that they hated each other. No one was surprised to see them fighting when they had a chance anymore. Harry was the boy who survived from the worst of the Unforgivable Curses that the Dark Lord casted. Everybody knew his name and was fascinated, curious. Draco puffed - how could an orphan mudblood have so much power and popularity?

Inconceivable.

"Well said, Malfoy!" Goyle praised him as he patted his shoulder. Then they got on the train and got a seat in a compartment.

"Oh, here you are...we couldn'd find you." After some minutes, Blaise Zabini stumbled in the compartment with Pansy Parkinson.

Blaise was Draco's best friend and most likely the only person, beyond his parents, who loved him. Their friendship wasn't like Crabbe and Goyle's, who they spend time with Malfoy just because of his name. Blaise was a real friend and loved him, despite his bad personality.

"Finally...we looked for you everywhere." Pansy said as she entered the compartment with her big purple baggage.

Pansy was the exact example of girl that Draco didn't stand. Even though she was part of their group since the the first year, he always looked for ways to keep her away. At the beginning, her sticky and nagging behavior helped his egocentrism to grow, but then he started to get sick of her. Now he only wished her to fade from this planet.

"Hi Draco, how are you?" Said the bob-haired girl with her ringing voice as she got close to hug him. He hoped that her vocals would be less annoying after a few months, but he was definetely wrong.

"Forget it, Parkinson." Before she could barely touch him, Draco reached his arm to stop any of her attempts.

"Don't be rude." Pansy just ignored him and cheekely smiled, "Would you mind if I seat next to you?" She asked as she got close again.

"Absolutely not. Zabini will seat next to me," Draco nodded towards his friend, "And don't call me by my name." He said with hatred that spilled from his tongue. Then he started reading The Daily Prophet.

After that, no one spoke untile they arrived at Hogwarts.

After having unpacked and worn their uniforms, the students went to the Great Hall for dinner which was introduced by the school choir. Draco was sat between Crabbe and Goyle, while Blaise and Pansy were sat on the other side.

"Do you know where Jo is?" Pansy asked as she carefully looked around to spot her friend among the four crowded tables.

"I'm wondering the same thing about Theodore." Blaise answered before pouring some water into his glass and having a sip, "They're probably together."

"As always." Pansy mumbled, tracing her eyes in every angle of the huge room, until she lingered on the doorway, "Oh, here they are-" She said, forcing Blaise to turn around.

Theodore Nott and Josephine Blake were making their entrance the Great Hall as they marched side by side over their friends - bright smiles on their lips and their robe fluttering due to the light wind while walking.

"You made it." Pansy's eyes rolled.

"You're only about six hours late." Blaise ironically said as he shaked his wrist, pretending to look at the time on the watch he didn't weare.

"Chill out, princess." Josephine puffed, rolling her eyes against him, and kissed Pansy's cheek as took a seat on the spot her friend reserved for her.

"We just wanted to spend some time together after two months." Theodore said, taking a seat next to Blaise.

"Does this filthy have to sit right in front of me?" Draco snarled acidly as soon as he saw Josephine sitting down.

"If I'm bothering you, move your grumpy ass elsewhere, Malfoy." Josephine talked back as her forearms rested on the table.

"Don't start you two." Blaise interefered between those hotheads and hushed them.

After three years of coexistence at Howgarts, where Josephine and Draco had spent every day attending the same lessons and people, they have always hated each other without knowing each other.

During their lives at Howgarts, they didn't actually talked, only insulted each other and fighted. The most peculiar detail was that they hadn't never looked in the face, so it felt like one didn't exist for the other.

Even though he wouldn't never admit, the only thing that Draco learnt about Josephine was that she was different from Pansy. The last one worshiped him as if he was a divinity, so she has become his doormat. He didn't mind it at all. He never refused a girl who showed to adore him thanks to his charm and power.

Despise all, Pansy had always been insistent and sticky. She made him freak out like nothing. Draco loathed her so much, but she was pureblood at least. Not like Josephine. That's why he didn't spare her even a gaze. Malfoy didn't even understand why Theodore and Blaise could be her friends, since their pure blood, but not as pure as Malfoy's, of course.

His prejudice and his hate towards mudbloods and muggles made Josephine go on a rampage, so she didn't miss a chance to attack him and fight.

She couldn't stand Draco being egoist and mean. He always acted as a bully and target people like her. He was literally the most odious and wicked Josephine had ever met, and she didn't want to have nothing to do with him.

Since the first moment they had met, they had built a relationship based on hate and repulsion. Nothing could ever change this.