danger

When it was safe again, the boy was upset to see her unconscious.  When she woke up and had burst into tears, they were all quiet while the boy and nice man talked to her.  She couldn't explain what happened, just that she couldn't move to get the snake and she hurt a lot.  Why couldn't she move?  The boy spoke with his men for a few minutes before deciding to move on.  As they walked, she just hoped those mean people wouldn't come back.

When she got tired of being carried, she got to run around and find bugs, leaves and sticks.  She wouldn't leave the group of men and every time she showed the nice man or the boy what she found, they would smile and talk about what she brought to them.  She never feels the watchful eyes of the men.  As they get closer to a small town, she is once again being carried while she sleeps.  The boy has a few men go check around before they go any further.  Once it is safe for them, they head to a small motel to get a few rooms.

One morning, while the boy is talking with his men in their room, she decides to sneak out.  As she walks down the small hall to the diner, a woman comes up next to her.  The woman seems nice and is talking quietly to herself.  She doesn't seem too scary so the adventure continues into the diner.  There is a man who looks over from his table and reaches out, suddenly grabbing her wrist.  The fear comes back full force, causing her to cry.  He pulls her outside towards a group of cars.

A man looks up and smiles at her, a cruel smile, not like the gentle smiles she was used to.  The pain in her head starts again.  He thanks the man who is still holding her wrist tightly.  Looking down at the child, he talks very quietly.  "You really have given us a hassle young one.  I don't like hurting you but I will be forced to unless you stay really quiet and get in the car".  She looks at the open door and back to the motel.  The pain in her head is steady, not letting up but she finds a tiny corner of her head that is clear, her fear is crying out for help.  Where is the boy or the nice man?

As she moves towards the car, the hand holding her arm releases her, thinking she was getting in.  She twists away from the mean man and tries to run towards the motel.  She doesn't get very far before a woman grabs her and pulls her back towards the car.  This is the same woman who was in the hall with her, she doesn't feel scary but she won't let her go.  The woman suddenly cries out and once again, she is free!  As she dashes back into the diner, plates shatter and water spills everywhere.  The boy!  She can see the boy!  The nice man rushes to her, scooping her up and they are outside so fast.  The boy holds her wrist gently, whispering how they're safe.  She is safe.