Chapter 06

"Oh no, please don't call her," Muzammil pleaded, shaking his head vigorously. Manhaa sat in a corner of the drawing room, watching in surprise as he saw her eldest brother make a commotion for the first time in forever.

In other words, full entertainment.

Israa shook her head and headed over to the landline, dialling out Saboor's telephone number.

Muzammil and Saboor were getting engaged tomorrow, and to mentally prepare her daughter-in-law-to-be, Israa had decided to call up Saboor and talk to her about it.

Muzammil made gestures at his sister to go stop their mother before she did something irreversibly embarrassing, but Manhaa only shrugged her shoulders and poured a cup of chai for herself. Muzammil, unable to bear the second-hand embarrassment he would have to undergo, hid his pretty face, and walked away to his room.

"Hello? Oh, Saboor beta, it's Israa."

"Assalamu alaykum auntie! How are you doing?"

"Walaykum assalam beta, I'm doing well. Are you free? I wanted to talk for a moment..."

"Oh, sure, just a minute..."

"Yes, auntie, please go on. "

Beta, I just wanted to tell you how happy I am for you both. You and Manhaa are both equally dear to me, and nothing can change that. You have accepted my son, and I want to thank you for that-"

"There's no need to thank me, auntie, and I too consider you as a mother figure," Saboor said, a smile coming onto her face. On the other end, Israa smiled too.

"It might seem pretty weird to you that Muzammil and you have such a big age gap, but believe me, he has a heart of gold. I am not boasting because he is my son, but he's a very nice man, and will definitely keep you happy."

Saboor could only nod.

"I will come a bit early to your place tomorrow, hm? If there's anything you need, let me know."

"Sure auntie, I'll let you know."

"Take care, beta. I'll see you tomorrow."

Once the call ended, Israa noticed her only daughter in the hallway, staring at her.

"What happened, Manhaa?"

But her daughter only came closer and embraced her from behind.

"I love you, mama," she said, leaning into her mother's comforting touch.

"I love you so much, my doll."

~

Saboor looked at the phone in her hand. Her body shivered, and a small tear dropped down her eye.

"Oh, Madam Israa, what have you done?" She murmured to herself. "Why did you tear open my healed wounds?"

"Why did you remind me of my mother who never caressed me like you did, who never reassured me as you did, who never comforted me as you did?"

"I had ignored everything, I had forgotten, and perhaps, forgiven too. But now, your love reminds me of the animosity of the one who birthed and weaned me."

"Oh, Madam Israa, what have you done?"

Wiping her tears, Saboor kept the phone on the empty passenger seat of the car. She restarted her car and joined the fast lane instantly, wiping clean the messy slate of her thoughts.

~

The next evening. Saboor's mother had made such commotion that it had disturbed her to the brain cells. Nor was she able to get ready, nor was she able to focus on her work. Aynoor had come and told her that she was not allowed to leave her room either, for the guests would be reaching any moment, and it would be a disaster if anyone saw her in her home clothes on this day. Saboor had latched her door from inside to avoid people constantly making trips to her room. She heard a knock on the door, and clicking her tongue, she went to open it.