Chapter 03

Israa picked up her phone, and glancing at the number her daughter had sent her, she dialled it and held the phone to her ear. It kept ringing for a while, but eventually, the person on the other end picked up.

"Who's this?" half-screamed the voice amidst a dozen other voices. It seemed as though the young lady was in a crowd.

"Aynoor beta, it's me, Manhaa's mother."

"Oh, Israa auntie, assalamu alaykum! I didn't know it was you..."

"Oh, it's okay! I actually wanted your mother's phone number," Israa stated.

"Oh sure! It is 1XXXX-XXXX9," Aynoor quickly said, and Israa wrote down on her notepad.

"Wait a second. I'll repeat it: 1XXXX-XXXX9, right?"

"Yes, absolutely. Anything else?" Aynoor asked, pointing someone in front of her to be silent.

"No, no, thank you so much, Aynoor!" she said and cut the call.

Israa dialled the number from her notepad into the landline and waited as the ring passed.

I hope I am doing this right...

"Assalamu alaykum bhabhi, it's me, Israa!"

"Oh, walaykum assalam dear! How are you doing?"

"I am good, alhamdulillah. All is good there?"

"Yes, alhamdulillah. I was about to call you up about Sunday, and thank you. How good was the food, and your house too, ma shaa Allah."

"Indeed, we'd kept a house here when we were in Arabia, thinking we'd need it some day, and lo! It's our permanent home now."

"Hm, I understand."

"Bhabhi, if you don't mind, can I talk to you about something?"

"It's about Saboor, if you know what I mean..."

There was an awkward silence on the other end, and then, Saboor's mother spoke.

"Oh, you mean about her marriage?"

"Yes, I was seeing her when she came to ours, and by God's grace, I think she'll make a beautiful bride for Muzammil."

Saboor's mother remained silent for a few moments and then spoke. "Israa bhabhi, I'm glad you let me know of your kind intentions, but I'll have to speak with Luqmaan saaheb first. You know how it goes..."

"Oh yes, please take your time. Just so you know, I've already talked to Mazhar about it, and he doesn't mind it, either."

"Oh, wonderful. Then I can simply tell Luqmaan and the men can discuss the rest - oh! The cooker is whistling. I'll call you up once I talk to my husband. Is that alright?"

"Definitely! I'll hang up now, Allah haafiz!"

"Allah haafiz."

~

That evening, during chai time, noting that Saboor wasn't in the house, Saboor's mother informed her husband of the matter. Luqmaan was elated, even though he didn't let it show on his face. The only way he told his decision was, by saying...

"I'll talk to Mazhar about it."

As she made her cappuccino, Aynoor silently heard the entire conversation in the kitchen. She somewhat knew what Saboor's reaction was going to be and feared the worst.

~

"Saboor..."

Both the daughters and their mother were having dinner. One of the young girls was tired and oblivious, while the other had a mixed chain of thoughts running through her head.