Harry: Why don't you sit down?

Dobby: S-s-sit down?

(Suddenly Dobby bursts into tears. Loud tears. Harry panics)

Harry: Shhhh! I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you or anything-

Dobby: Offend Dobby! Dobby has heard of your greatness, sir, but never has he been asked to sit down by a wizard, like an equal...

Harry: You can't have met many decent wizards then.

(Dobby shakes his head, then without warning, leaps off the bed and starts to bang his head furiously on the floor)

Dobby: Bad Dobby! Bad Dobby!

(In the living room. Vernon pours champagne for Mr. and Mrs. Mason. As Dobby's head banging sounds from above, all eyes shift to the ceiling. Vernon chuckles nervously)

Vernon: Don't mind that. It's just the... cat.

Dudley: Cat? What cat?

Vernon: Our cat, tiger.

(Meanwhile Dobby gets back to his feet, wobbling, eyes spinning dizzily. Harry regards him with a mixture of concern... and wariness)

Harry: Are you... all right?

Dobby: Dobby had to punish himself, sir. Dobby almost spoke ill of his family, sir.

Harry: Your... family?

Dobby: The wizard family Dobby serves, sir. Dobby is bound to serve one family forever. If they ever knew Dobby was here...

(Dobby shudders in fear, then looks up, whispers urgently)

Dobby: But Dobby had to come. Dobby has to protect Harry Potter. To warn him. Harry Potter must not go back to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry this year.

Harry: Not go back? But... I have to.

Dobby: This is a plot. A plot to make most terrible things happen. If Harry Potter goes back to school he will be in great danger.

Harry: What terrible things? Who's plotting them?

(Dobby makes a funny choking and gaggin noise)

Harry: Okay! I understand. You can't say-

(Too late. Dobby grabs the bedside lamp and starts beating himself about the head and yelping loudly)

Living Room

(Vernon is in the midst of telling a joke)

Vernon: They arrive at the ninth hole and-!

(Dobby's yelps interrupt, ringing out from above)

Mr. Mason: Sounds as if that cat of yours has dragged something in with it, Dursley.

Vernon: Not to worry. I'll sort it out.

Harry's Room

(Harry wrestles the lamp away from Dobby)

Harry: Stop! Stop!

(Footsteps thunder on the landing. Quickly, Harry grabs Dobby by the pillowcase and pitches him into the wardrobe... just as the door flings open)

Vernon: What the devil are you doing up here! You've just ruined the punch line of my Japanese golfer joke. One more sound and you'll wish you'd never been born, boy!

(He stomps flat-footed from the room and slams the door. Harry lets Dobby out of the wardrobe)

Harry: See why I've got to go back? I don't belong here. I belong in your world... at Hogwarts. It's the only place I've got... friends.