Chapter 1

Mr. Ryan (as the staff called him), the father of my beloved Sophia. The man was not the friendliest person I had ever known. However, at the same time, he was very hospitable. However, the hospitality was peculiar, in a Western style, where he originally came from. Together with his daughter, they ran a small Georgian cuisine restaurant called "Vstrecha" (Meeting), where I first met Sophie. The establishment was entirely infused with Western culture. It's challenging to describe the feeling while sitting at a table in the main hall, but I would recommend visiting this place sometime. The walls were adorned in line with cultural traditions: golden accents, expensive-looking furniture, and a massive chandelier in the center of the hall. It created a pleasant sense of opulence, but despite all this, the prices were reasonable. My scholarship was enough not to feel uncomfortable treating myself in this lovely place.

I didn't initiate a conversation with her myself; I wouldn't have had the courage. It was her father who introduced us. I often visited the place after classes, finding solitude there. Whenever I came in, Sophie was always behind the bar, with a small notebook, diligently jotting something down, and I would get distracted from everything else, just observing her. That's when Mr. Ryan noticed me. It all started with a small conversation.

"Hello, young man," Mr. Ryan addressed me. There was a grimace on his face that sent a shiver down my spine.

"Good evening," I cautiously replied. My apprehension wasn't just simple fear; my limited knowledge of their culture made me understand that it wasn't advisable to gaze too insistently at a girl.

"Do you like everything here?" the man inquired.

"Yes, everything is excellent," I said, and after that statement, my fear diminished a bit.

"Did you enjoy the dish prepared by our chef?" he asked, now with a slight smile.

My order was modest, a piece of baked cheese and a cup of coffee. However, that coffee was the best I had ever tasted.

"I think you're not wasting your money on him," I replied, involuntarily glancing at Sophie. In that moment, Mr. Ryan noticed my eyes.

"May I sit next to you?" he said with a rough accent.

"Yes, of course!" I replied, gathering myself and deepening my voice a bit. I stood up, gesturing to the adjacent seat.

"I've noticed your frequent visits to our establishment. What attracts you here so much?" he asked with a smirk.

"Yes, I've been here several times. I study a couple of blocks away; it's convenient to get here, and you have great coffee," I replied resourcefully.

"Thank you! I'm glad you like it. However, I have doubts that it's only the coffee keeping you here," Mr. Ryan said, looking at Sophie.

"Excuse me?" I tried to pretend I didn't understand what he was talking about.Then Mr. Ryan directed my gaze towards the bar.

"Her name is Sofia, my daughter."

I looked into his eyes and found no sign of outrage there. He seemed quite calm.

"Sonia!" he called, trying to get her attention towards us.

At that moment, I felt like I could sink through the floor. He beckoned her over to our table, and I blushed awkwardly, as if seeing a girl for the first time. My behavior betrayed an obvious fondness for his daughter, and there was no hiding it.

Mr. Ryan stood up from his seat.

"Sit down, dear, chat with our guest. Try to find out as much as possible; perhaps he has some fresh ideas. I'll keep an eye on the staff for now," Mr. Ryan said to his daughter.

Then he asked the waiter to bring us each a cup of coffee, on the house.

"Be careful with flowers, young man; some of them know how to prick. Her mother was a rose," Mr. Ryan said with a smile on his face and left us.

I had never experienced such embarrassment before. My face was burning; it seemed to be a deep shade of red. I felt extremely hot, and my entire body was covered in goosebumps. I didn't know where to put myself, where to avert my eyes, and how to start a conversation. Despite contemplating this meeting multiple times, imagining how it would go and what I would say, everything unfolded differently from what I had envisioned.Sophie sat down opposite me very politely and looked at me as if someone had forced her to get acquainted with me. Our first meeting passed in this awkward atmosphere. However, after a few shy questions and casual conversation, it felt like I had known her for an eternity.