CHAPTER 7

Getting to the camp was confusing.

Not the way, Limelight was brilliant with directions. But what was happening when they arrived.

Some cats were shouting at Emberstar. Some cats at Snowfall. Most nodding, like, what a genius thing to do.

"Calm down," Emberstar bellowed from the highrock. "This is his decision. "

"Who's decision?" Pearpaw asked, padding into the clearing of squabbling cats. "What's happening?"

Limelight studied her paws. "I need to cut my claws," She noted, her voice squeaky from panic. "One's much longer than they other one."

Pearpaw flicked her ears, concerned. "Limelight, what's happening?"

Limelight seemed to pale (natmeke, NO COMMENT ABOUT 'Cat's can't blush or pale!!!'). "I - I-," She stammered, swallowing. "I forgot to do something - uh - somewhere - I have to - bye."

Pearpaw watched in disbelief as the medicine cat turned tail and fled to her den. Eyes narrowed, she edged towards a hostile, shouting Thriftpaw next to her chatting siblings.

"What's happening?" She asked, blinking.

Thriftpaw lashed her tail angrily. "The potential of Snowstar is crumbling!"

"Snowfall's retiring," Duskypaw translated for Pearpaw's sake.

Pearpaw raised her eyebrows. "Really?"

"Its stupid!" Thriftpaw agreed.

"Why is he retiring?" Pearpaw didn't think their father would retire just because he was sick of it.

"Moonwatcher's expecting kits!" Figpaw blurted. 

"Oh!" Pearpaw mewed, happy for her father's sister. "That's great! Who's the father?"

"Wildpebble!" Duskypaw informed her.

"GREAT?!" Thriftpaw wailed. "THERES NO CHANCE OF SNOWSTAR ANYMORE!"

Tanglesight, who was pretending not to be eavesdropping until then, padded up to them and pressed his muzzle to Thriftpaw. "But now there's a chance of Hailstar!"

Pearpaw, Figpaw and Duskypaw's eyes widened in surprise.

Thriftpaw flushed so bright and Pearpaw nodded, breaking out of the shock trance. "Hailtooth. Good choice."

Tanglesight bobbed his head and sauntered off to the fresh-kill pile.

Hailtooth clumsily meowed, "Ugh - tha - thank you, Pearpaw," when she trotted over to congratulated him. 

Cloudwhisper walked over to the new deputy and mewed, "Well done!"

Hailtooth replied to this by stammering, "I - ermm - I - uhh - thanks."

Pearpaw's whiskers twitched in amusement as she sat down next to her littermates. 

"Tanglesight, huh?" Figpaw teased. "I thought you were mooning over Blackpaw."

"You were?" Blackpaw asked Thriftpaw, bewildered, pausing in his tracks nearby. "I thought you liked Oakpaw!"

Thriftpaw shot Figpaw an exasperated look. "Be quieter when you talk!" She then hissed, "Walk on, Blackpaw. Nobody likes you. Especially me."

Blackpaw quickly hurried away, clearly not pleased about being bossed around by someone younger than him.

Figpaw looked slightly mutinous, but did as she was told.