IV

The smell of burnt flesh fills his nostrils. Looking around he finds himself in a town square. Around him are the remains of several burned down pyres. In places he can make out what might have been crosses.

Gripping his rifle he tries to push down the nausea.

???: (You holding up okay?)

At the sound of her voice he spins around only to find a burning medical tent.

Knowing what he'll find, he slowly walks towards it. With a sigh he reaches out to grab the tent flap. As soon as he touches it the flames disappear, leaving a mostly burned down tent.

He holds onto the flap for a moment before moving it aside so he can walk in.

Inside the tent he sees half a dozen operating tables, with many having been damaged by fire. The stench of burned flesh is stronger than ever as he walks past the tables.

Each table is empty with only the very last table being occupied. On it he can see a body covered by a green tarp.

As he approaches it he can feel dread filling him. Once he reaches the body he reaches out to grab it, but stops just short.

He hesitates for a moment before moving forward. Just as his fingertips touch the tarp everything goes black.

Opening his eyes he finds that he fell asleep by the dining room table. Sitting up and stretching he feels a blanket slide off of him.

Vera: Oh? Good morning.

He turns to see her walking into the room.

Vera: Juno wanted me to tell you that she's out exploring the grounds.

Novak nods. Juno was equipped with weapons to take care of herself.

Novak turns and picks up the blanket.

Novak: Thank you for this.

He says folding it and putting it down next to him.

Vera smiles softly at him while she takes her seat at the head of the table.

Novak: And, I would like to apologize. I'm a stranger in your house, yet I'm already being a burden.

Vera: Nonsense! If anything you should rely on us now that you will be staying here.

Novak gives her a confused look, not understanding what she meant.

Vera: You clearly have nowhere else to go. As such I have prepared a room for you, though it seems we forgot to show you to it yesterday.

Novak stares at her, unable to think of anything to say.

Vera: Stay with us as long as you need. Should you wish to move on then I won't stop you.

Novak: T-thank you.

A feeling of warmth filled him. It was a feeling he had forgotten.

Suddenly the door opens and Anna walks in with the three wolf sisters in tow.

Vera: Good morning everyone.

Anna: Morning.

Gwen: *yawn* Morning.

Nadia: Morning mother.

The third daughter just shyly nods. They all take a seat with Gwen and Anna sitting on either side of Novak. Nadia sits directly across from him while the youngest chooses to sit by her mother.

Vera: Anna dear, would you be so kind as to show Novak around the house. He'll be staying with us for a while.

Anna: *happy* Of course!