The Darkness Of Tomorrow Chapter 4-Pretty fucking far from okay

Unable are the loved to die.  For love is immortality.  ~Emily Dickinson

Rider's POV

I got off my ass, and picked up Maimuna by her glossy black hair, heat started to radiate from my body. I was getting angry.

"Who are you?" I asked, removing the carpet from the middle of my room. Under the carpet was a circle, that had a star with six points on it. Her small, hard as steel fingers wrapped around my wrist and squeezed hard where my vanes were. I let out a gasp, from the pain as I put my free hand over the circle and closed my eyes. 

"Exaudies sapientes. Flamma intus exire voluerit, sit ardet ardetcirculum in medullas" I said softly. The spell was in latin, and instantly, flames blew up from the ground. The circle was in flames, but the flames didn’t get out of the circle. Maimuna squeezed on my wrist harder, her finger broke my skin, blood dripping. 

“Valtreqz, put me down” she thundered, her grip didn’t loosen up a bit. My palm was still facing the fire, and then I heard a crack. A wave of pain hit me as I went to my broken wrist. Maimuna really could cause me pain. 

I let go of her hair and let out a high pitched scream, holding my broken wrist close to my chest. In less than a second my door burst opened and there, stood Nigel and Darius, worried expressions on their faces. 

I pointed at Maimuna, unable to speak because of the unbearable pain I was in. They looked at me, then at the doll that was lying down on its back, her eyes were still, just like the rest of her body. 

“Rider are you-“

I nodded my head, cutting Nigel off. I lifted my gaze back to them and watched as Darius shifted into a dog, walking slowly towards Maimuna. He shifted into a German Shepard, his long muzzle sniffed Maimuna without getting close to her. He inched closer and closer to her, his long, sharp ears were straight up and  listening to everything.

Once Darius was done, he walked over to where Nigel was still standing and shifted back into his human form. I raised an eyebrow at him and he shrugged his shoulders, “ Rider, are you sure you’re all right? Because it smells like an ordinary doll. And I couldn’t smell blood, hear an extra heartbeat or anything that would suggest she was a living doll. Is that even…” 

“I’m pretty fucking far from ok” I said showing him my broken wrist which was covered in blood.

“Yes it is possible” Nigel said, sighing. He stared at the doll, watching and waiting for her to move. But she didn’t. I watched Nigel, his eyes were changing to a bright yellow colour. Which wasn’t good at all. “Nigel, you need to go” I blurted out. His head snapped my way as there was barely any blue was showing or pupil, his whole eyes were getting covered by the yellow. 

Nigel was a Doxy. Not a creature that you would want to be around when their eyes are completely yellow. Doxy’s were a cross between vengeful spirits and ghouls that feed off the living by drinking them dry of their blood and eating everything until there's nothing but bones left. Doxy’s were strong and can break bones easily. Doxy’s wander the earth until they are killed or until they find and kill the person that killed them first.

Nigel’s frame became transparent as his tongue rolled out of his mouth, the vanes on his arms start to pop out. Slowly, I took a step back and Darius did the same but he moved closer to me, leaving Nigel at the door way. 

“Nigel” I said again, but this time, softly “You need to go feed."

 Darius launched himself at Nigel and they both went flying down the hallway. Seconds later, Darius came back into my room, limping. “Are you-"

He fell on my bed. And that was when I saw the trail of blood from his back that was soaking my sheets. I ran over to his body and  he passed out. I put my  good hand on his chest, his heart beat was slowing down.

“Before you heal him up, I suggest that you realize that only you can see me. And by see me, I mean hear me talk and what-not” Maimuna said from behind me. 

Slowly, I turned around and looked at her. Her small body, was standing, her hands on her hips.

“Now, first, before I tell you about you’re parents, I have to tell you about the person who killed them. His name is Ross. And he wants to keep you far away from him. Because you’re different."

I nodded my head, my hand still on Darius’ heart. “Yeah, I’m a witch."

She stared at me, tilting her head to the side, her doll like face turned into a smile, “And so much more."

Thanks for reading!