13

Gilbert hopped out the small sail boat that Bash had just tied up, finally arrived at Trinidad. Gilbert took in the heat and the views as Bash lifted out some barrels from the boat.

Once Bash noticed Gilbert, he shouts "Boy, stop skylarkin."

Gilbert looked at Bash before going to help "Wow, this place looks amazing."

"Just the beginning, my friend." Sebastian said as he gave Gilbert the barrel.

Gilbert looked at him "You look underwhelmed."

"What you want me to do, dance?" Bash asked sarcastically.

"You sound just like Y/n." He said before smiling "It's been two years."

"Yes, I am very happy to be home." Bash nods "But you? You'll cry when you have to leave. Trinidad will get into your soul. Now we have to get these barrels where they're going."

They pick up the barrels, Gilbert struggling. He isn't used to being on land right after being at sea.

Bash saw and said "Sea leg and seashore ain't friend, you know."

"I just need to... get my balance." Gilbert replied, still struggling.

"You need more than that with your mawga self." Bash said as they started walking "You catch a stiff breeze, you're gone."

"I'm not that skinny." Gilbert sighed.

Bash smiled "I'll find you some good Tinidadian bush medicine." They see some9ne singing to sell his food and Bash says "When I was a boy, I would come down here every day."

"I had no idea such a place could exist!" Gilbert said, amazed.

Bash looked at Gilbert "Bet you never thought you'd find yourself this far from... hey, what rhe name again?"

"Avonlea." Gilbert told him.

"I used to shop here for my mom." Bash said, looking around "Every ingredient she cooked with had to be fresh. Nothing stale in her kitchen."

Gilbert smells the air "All these smells are making me hungry."

"You have anything good to eat up on Prince Edward?" Bash asked.

"I like potatoes." Gilbert said as they put their barrels away.

"C'mon, potatoes? Give me something to work with here." Bash exclaimed.

Gilbert thought "Well, Mrs Kincannon would serve crab every once in a while."

"Now we're getting somewhere! How'd she prepare it?" He asked.

Gilbert shrugged slightly "Boil it, I think. Add some salt."

"That's it? Crab with salt?" Bash said, surprised.

"What's wrong with that?" Gilbert asked.

"Nothing. Crab nice when you cook it up right. Like mommy's crab callaloo. Sunday food. She'd boil down a pile of dasheen leaves in coconut milk, throw in some onions, garlic, okra, a pig tail and then the crab. Add a whole pimento pepper and let it simmer."

"I dont think I've had a hot pepper in my life." Gilbert looked at Bash.

"Yeah, you?" Bash giggled "Your little dry-up body would go to war against itself."

Gilbert smiled "I think I could handle it. Y/n's family got invited to a lot of fancy sinners because of all the companies that her father sends his crops off to. So, she's tried a lot of spices and cool foods, like ostrich."

"Ooh, I need to meet this girl. You have dinner with her a lot?" Bash asked.

Gilbert nods "Y/n's mother and Hazel make lovely dinners. They made pork and had carrots and potatoes on the side a few weeks before I left." Gilbert said "They are rather rich and get spices from other places."