Chapter Thirty Two

Chapter Thirty Two

Rosalie's POV -

It had been a month since all the drama had unfolded. One very stressful month.

With every passing day, we were getting closer and closer to graduation, an event that I, well, was terrified of. Because I had just started being able to actually enjoy high school, rather than worry about evictions, parenting three boys with the added stress. And now that I was finally able to live it as a semi-normal teenager, it was coming to an end.

Graduation happened at the end of May, and the SAT's were slowly approaching, teachers constantly setting tasks for preparation. I had more work than ever, and I was balancing being a parent at the same time.

Speaking of parents, I never received any more news about them; it was as if that whole drama episode never happened, that I still hadn't seen them in years.

Liam and Mike had become more secretive, they spent even more time with each other, and I began noticing little things about Liam that I had never seen before. Like he would freeze every time he saw a blue minivan or that he avoided watching shows or movies with kidnappings - something that I hadn't seen before. Now, he just makes excuses to leave and Mike follows suit.

Cam's belly was growing bigger, Emily's due date was approaching and Chloe's relationship with Adam had become a little rocky.

And Nate and I, well, we had begun arguing more often. Maybe it was the added stress of SAT's and graduation, and being on edge all the time, but I found myself arguing with Nate. At first, he was patient with me; I would see that he would struggle not to get angry every time I questioned him. But now, he couldn't hold it in any longer.

We were still fine, still the perfect dandy couple. We just happened to argue more, and I wished for it to stop. It was my fault, I knew that, but in the moment, I would lose myself.

"Are you going with the girls to look for a prom dress?" Nate asked during breakfast.

Along with our arguments, my love for him continued to increase. He was just always there for me, making me laugh, smile and just feel better during the times I needed him most. And it was rare for him to not sleep with me anymore.

At first I was confused, because he said he felt only comfortable on his bed. And then I realised that he had swapped our mattresses so that he would be comfortable sleeping next to me every night.

"When are they going?" I asked.

"This weekend. You're not going with them if they're going on Saturday though." He said sternly.

I didn't even bother to ask why. Nate and I had kept our traditional movie nights on Saturday. It was a day where the boys were at self-defense classes because everyone had insisted that I take them, and it just so happened that Ashton and Brandon owned a gym where they held classes there. So my Saturday nights were always free to spend with Nate.

"I can't break the tradition once?"

"Nope."

"I can buy a dress online. Or from a nearby store. I don't need to go prestigious." I shrugged.

I may have more money than before, but that didn't mean I liked to spend it recklessly.

"Right." He scoffed. "Try convincing the girls to buy from a nearby store."

I frowned and took a bite from my cereal.

"Where would they want to go then?"

"Manhattan."

My old home, before I moved to Brooklyn.

"Well my Saturday nights are spent with you, so I won't be going anywhere else." I shrugged.

He smirked and leaned in to kiss me quickly on the lips.

"You didn't have a choice anyway."

It was a line like that that often made me a little frustrated. I mean, I just told him that I would spend Saturday night with him and then he would tell me it wasn't my choice. I said yes to him, why did he have to continue to be controlling?

I bit my tongue so I wouldn't say anything and hoped that my thoughts weren't making me seem like a bitch. I tried to convince myself that it was just Nate's personality and that he had always been like that, but with stress, my judgment was clouded.

"I need to get dressed for school." I muttered, picking up my bowl and putting it in the dishwasher after rinsing it out.

Nate frowned and nodded, looking like he wanted to say something.

"Yes?" I asked, waiting for him to say whatever it was.

"Go get dressed; I'm going back to the main house."

"I already said I was going to get dressed, you don't need to tell me what to do." I mumbled curtly.

My reply was a slam of the door.

Of course.

Okay, so it was completely uncalled for but I just... everything was slowly piling up, creeping its way into taunting me, and now a lot of the things that Nate said that I would laugh at or roll my eyes at twisted into something as if he were provoking me, trying to be spiteful.

I knew it wasn't the case, and that he was growing frustrated with my constant change of moods. But I never ended up realising just how mean I was being until he was out of the room.

I think Nate was just sick of my attitude so now every time I would be a bitch, he'd just leave.

I went to the games room where the boys were and told them they needed to get ready for school.

"I don't want to go to school." Liam whined.

I was growing scared that they'd become too obsessed with the games room that they'd ditch school completely. But, I should never doubt my boys because they came up with a schedule themselves, getting me to approve it. They would come home from school, watch an hour of television, spend two hours on school, eat, spend a few hours in the games room, and sleep.

With them showing me a schedule like that, it showed that they could be mature about it and that they hadn't stopped caring about school.

"Yes you do, your clothes are laid out on your bed in your room." I replied in amusement.

"I married this room; it said it would divorce me if I left it." Mike shrugged. "Sorry Liam, but you're on your own."

As soon as Mike had said the last sentence, I knew what was coming, it had been happening for a while if anyone said a quip like that. Liam winced and gritted his teeth before turning around to his brother.

"You promised." I heard him mutter.

"Sorry, I was joking." Mike looked ashamed.

Every time I questioned one of these conversations, the boys would act like rebellious teenagers, showing me no respect whatsoever. So I stopped asking about what they meant and why they would say whatever they would.

The boys continued exchanging a few more words before they went to their room. I looked towards Jace who looked lost.

"Do you ever know what they are talking about?" I asked him.

"Mike promised he'd never leave Liam's side." Jace shrugged.

At one point, the boys were sent to the principal's office because they were both in different classes and they wanted to be put in the same class. I had to explain what had happened with Liam before they were finally allowed to be put in the same class.

Before I could say anything to Jace, my phone began to ring.

"Hello?"

"I have to go somewhere before school. Take your car and drop off the boys." Nate told me quickly, before the line went dead.

And this was the next step in our arguments. Guilt would wash over me like a tsunami. I would realise he hadn't done anything and I'd feel nothing but guilt.

I dressed in my school uniform and dried my hair after having a shower. I grabbed my keys and urged the boys to get into my car. Oh, and in the month that had passed by, Nate taught me how to drive. Well, he taught me once, grew too frustrated with me, and sent me off with Ashton instead.

"When will I learn how to drive?" Mike asked once I made sure he had his seatbelt on properly.

"As soon as you turn sixteen." That thought made me squirm.

My boys at sixteen? God, the time would fly by so quickly, I'd probably see them married in a blink of an eye, and that thought scared me.

I drove them to school, and gave them the same speech that I did since we arrived in Brooklyn. That they were to stay inside the gates with Jace and sit on the bench. Liam never took me seriously but ever since the kidnapping, he'd nod his head vigorously.

Once I arrived at school, I parked the car next to Chris's vehicle and met up with them.

"What did you do?" Chris asked.

"What?" I frowned; half knowing already what Chris was talking about.

"Nate is smoking again. What did you do?" He raised his eyebrows, folding his arms across his chest.

Nate was... smoking. As in... smoking? But when?

"Since... when did Nate ever smoke?" I asked in surprise.

"Before he met you, then he started cutting down and then stopped completely when he started to have feelings for you. Why is he smoking again? What did you do?"

That was one thing Nate had never told me. Although he rarely ever spoke about himself, just spending time with him allowed me to learn the little things about him, allowing me to actually know him. But with these kind of things, like his past, if he never told me, I wouldn't ever know.

"Why are you accusing me of doing something?" I mumbled, feeling guilty like never before.

"Because he doesn't care about anyone but you. You'd be the only reason he turns to cigarettes." He narrowed his eyes at me.

I stayed silent and kept my gaze on the floor, my face heating up in embarrassment, feeling ashamed.

"Rose, Nate actually tells me stuff and he told me that you've become angrier with him more often. Are you alright?" Chris asked curiously, ducking his head down and using his fingers to lift my head up.

"Where is Nate now?" I murmured.

"At the gym." Chris answered.

And so, I did something rebellious. I skipped class and drove to the gym.

***

When I arrived, I barged straight through the entry doors, ignoring all the amused glances all the bulky men were giving me. I couldn't even imagine what they were thinking, seeing a petite brunette waltz in her school-girl uniform.

I went to a reception desk and asked the receptionist if she knew where Nate was. She told me he was always in the boxing room. So I made my way around the gym, finally finding the boxing room.

When I arrived at the door, I could hear hushed murmurs. I pressed my ears against the door and heard the brothers speaking.

"So that's it?" I could hear Brandon. "You turn to cigarettes."

"Yep." Nate's voice was icy and distant.

"Why are you being such an idiot? So she's a little snappy, maybe she's pmsing? Or pregnant?" Brandon said.

I had to cover my mouth from making a bizarre sound upon hearing Brandon suggest that I was pregnant.

"She isn't pregnant." Muttered Nate, his voice carrying the slightest sound of amusement.

"She doesn't want kids?" This time, it was Ashton.

"No, she wants kids, trust me. She's never told me before but I could already tell how maternal she is." Nate mused.

"Do you want kids?"

This time, there was silence.

"Oh God, you do want kids! Have you told her before?"

"We haven't even slept together yet, I'm not discussing kids with her." He muttered gruffly.

"You are so whipped." Brandon laughed.

"I am not!" Nate screamed defensively.

"Yeah you're not whipped, but you're just sulking in the gym with a cigarette, hiding away from her." Ashton retorted sarcastically.

"F*ck you." Nate grumbled.

"Look, you guys aren't breaking up, so what the hell is the problem?" Brandon asked exasperatingly.

The air was once again met with silence and I found myself pressing my ear against the door even harder, my subconscious mind yearning to know what Nate was going to say next while every other part of me was wretched in guilt and wanted to comfort him.

"Nate?" Brandon pressed.

"She's always f*cking pissed off at me, which makes me angry." Nate muttered.

I felt like bricks were dropping into the pit of my stomach but I didn't want to make a sound and let Nate know I was hearing everything. I didn't know that my stress had made me put a strain on our relationship and I resented myself for it. Did I not comprehend just how rude I was being?

"Well duh! Her brother was kidnapped, her abusive parents returned and she's in her senior year. She's going to be a little snappy here and there." Ashton explained.

"But it's not just here and there; it's eighty percent of the time."

"I say stop sulking, grow a pair, and face her." Brandon announced.

With that, I turned away from the door and ran back to my car, trying to show no traces of me listening to the conversation. If there was one thing that Nate treasured most, it was his pride. And if he found out that I knew he was sulking because of our relationship, it'd make him even more angry, to know that his ego had been struck.

Personally, it was a stupid reason to be angry but hey, this was Nate, this was the guy I was crazy about. Whether it was stupid or not, it was something that Nate felt strongly about and I would try as hard as I could to make him feel good about himself, even if it impacted me. Because really, I would put his happiness before mine.

I drove back to school and parked my car and was startled when Nate's car bounded into the school driveway too. He was surprised to see me too, by the look on his face. And of course he sped while driving which caused him to arrive at school right after me.

I stood at the door of my car and he parked his car right next to mine. He stayed sitting in his seat for a while, half the time looking at the steering wheel and the other half not-so-discreetly peering at me. Finally, he opened his door and slammed it shut before he marched towards me.

"Nate-"

My voice was cut off when Nate smashed his lips to mine, kissing me with urgency and desperation. Too soon, he pulled away and breathlessly rested his head on my forehead.

"You have got to stop being me and start acting like you again." He muttered.

'Being me' obviously meant that my attitude lately was short tempered like his. I smiled softly and pecked him on the lips.

"I'm sorry." I apologised.

When I was talking to Cam about my quick temper towards Nate and how he had been arguing with me more often, she told me that whatever happened, I shouldn't apologise; that he had to learn that I wasn't perfect and sometimes I can be a little snappy. I told her that I wouldn't apologise but in the heat of the moment, I said it, and I said it sincerely.

Nate's expression turned a little distant and I instantly knew that he didn't want to venture into cheesy-corny-uncomfortable territory.

"Why are you here anyway?" Nate changed the subject, frowning in confusion.

Oops... I was so not telling him that I eavesdropped on his while he spoke to his brothers.

"I left my essay in my car." I lied, averting my gaze to the floor.

"Okay, whatever, now get to class." He mumbled.

I rolled my eyes and laughed.

"Last time I checked, you went to this school too. Aren't you going to class either?" I smiled slyly.

"I don't care about class, but you missy, want to go to Harvard." He flicked my nose teasingly.

"I am so not going to Harvard." I muttered. "I just want to get good results. Is that so bad?"

"To me it sounds like a nightmare. I guess you chicks have a different frame of mind." He winked, pulling my hand in his and entwining our fingers.

I laughed and rolled my eyes, moving so I could bring his lips back to mine.

"So you're not coming to school today?" I asked after we pulled away.

"Na, Ashton needs me to cover his shift at work while he goes with Emily to the ultrasound." He answered.

I nodded and continued to walk towards my classroom, Nate by my side.

"What time will you be home?" I asked.

"About eight." He replied. "Oh and we're going to dinner at Roberta's on Friday, don't make any plans."

I smiled at hearing that Nate and I were finally going out to dinner again. The last time we went out together, he told me he loved me and that moment allowed an instinct smile to emerge whenever I hear of Nate and I going out together.

"Okay." I smiled, my insides doing flip flops in anticipation.

We arrived at my classroom and before I knocked on the door, I sensed there was something else Nate wanted to ask me so I delayed my knock.

"Rose..."

There it is.

I turned towards him so he knew I had my full attention on him. He seemed pretty anxious about what he wanted to say.

"Have you... in any way, have you been in contact with your parents?"

I felt a little uneasy at the question and shook my head vigorously.

I hadn't been in contact with my parents.

No matter how much I have wanted to see them again to ask the endless questions I had, I hadn't seen them. I was dying to know why they had taken Liam. And why he was returned home a day after. What they had done to him while he was gone. Why they did what they did when I was with them.

I just had enough of all the 'what ifs' and theories that I made up in my mind. I was so over being scared and running away and now all I wanted to do is face them.

But for now, they had disappeared on me.

"I haven't." I finally said, still shaking my head.

"Good. If they try to contact you, I want you to shun them away; don't give them the time of day. Don't speak to them." He demanded seriously.

I wasn't going to do that. I knew that if I had the opportunity to speak with them, then I would. But Nate and I just made up, I didn't think we were ready to have another argument. So for the sake of Nate's happiness, I swallowed my words and smiled, trying to seem genuine.

"Sure."

He flashed a grin and kissed me quickly on the lips before turning around and saying goodbye.

***

"What do we have next?" Chloe asked me in the cafeteria.

I slid onto the bench next to her, putting down my tray of food.

"History. I have that with Nate but he isn't here today." I replied.

"You want to skip it?" She asked.

I shot her an incredulous look and she smiled sheepishly.

"Right, I forgot you would never skip school." She laughed.

I was going to argue and use this morning as an example but I kept myself quiet and nodded my head.

"I am the ultimate teachers pet." I agreed.

Well, if you erased this morning, I was pretty much the definition of a teacher's pet.

Cam and Chris joined Chloe and I and we discussed Cam's maternity leave and how her parents were forcing her to temporarily pull out of school for the last few months of her pregnancy.

When the bell went, I walked alone to class and took a seat in my usual spot. I was so focused on the work that I hadn't even noticed the class phone ring.

I was furiously copying down the class notes and was interrupted when the teacher called my name.

"Yes?" I asked.

"They want you down at the office. Take your things with you." She said.

I frowned. That was strange; they had never asked me to go to the office. Nevertheless, I shoved down the frustration of not copying down all my notes and packed everything in my bag before exiting the class.

I took the shortest route to the office and opened the door before making my way to the administrators.

The lady sitting in her office shot me a curt look and eyed me impolitely.

"What?" She sneered intimidatingly.

"Um, I was called down here. I'm from room 24B." I replied submissively.

Her eyes rose in thought before she nodded.

"Right, go to the visitor's room. Your mother is here to see you."

And that's when my heart stopped.

And then restarted.

And sped like a cheetah.

My... mother?

I know I was all confident in wanting to see her again and all that but... no. This couldn't be right. Maybe the lady assumed this person was my mother. Many people tended to do that when an elder lady was with me.

"O-okay." I stuttered.

I pushed my legs to make strides towards the visitor's room. Once there, I took in a huge breath, convincing myself that it wasn't my mother who was here. She wasn't here.

She couldn't be.

Before I could regret this moment, I pushed the door open and stopped in my tracks.

The room was empty. Except for one person. The lady hadn't made any assumption.

Because for the first time in a few years, I came face to face with my mother.

----------------------------------

Authors Note:

Don't hate on me! I just love cliffhangers! :D so what did you guys think about Nate and Rose's rocky relationship?

This chapter is dedicated to wl_rdc for the amazing banner on the side ---> thank you so much for it and your kind words! :D

Guys! OVER 100,000 reads!!! Quick! Go to the Salvatore Boarding House for the Salvatore celebration party! All readers are invited! And Damon and Klaus will be there... Enough motivation?

Anyways! I will try to upload earlier than Sunday as a sorry for taking two weeks!

Vote, comment and fan.

Farewell xx