Retrogression

August 20, 2022

One of the worst things I could have woken up to was the sound of an IV drip and a heart monitor. The sounds of shuffling feet barely muted beyond a door and mumbling, hardly understandable voices hovering around me. The atmosphere was all too familiar and it frightened me.

I feel myself stirring out of unconsciousness, the beeping of the heart monitor picking up the more I try to force myself awake, the only thought in my mind is that I need to get out and away from this place. I don't want to be in a hospital, I don't like it and I can't even remember why I'm here. Who brought me here? Last I remember I was at Leah's and then--

"He's waking up," A familiar voice says at my left.

"Kai?" I'm positive that one is Zoe.

Moments later I finally manage to crack my eyes open and squint up at the blurry version of my friends faces in the awful fluorescent lighting. On my right there's Zoe, Daisy, and Charlie, and to my left there's Jace, and Seth.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" Jace asks, concern glowing in his eyes.

I manage to pull myself into more of a sitting position, holding back an exhausted groan, "Like shit, what happened? Why am I here?"

"You fainted, Kai," Jace says, looking confused. "You don't remember? We were on our way upstairs and you just collapsed. I barely had time to catch you before you fell down the whole flight."

I shake my head back and forth, feeling my breath catch in my throat before turning into panting, "No, but I'm fine. Let's just go, I don't want to be here. I want t-to go home, Jace. I need out, I can't--"

"Whoa, mister. Slow down and breathe. What's going on?" Daisy asks, coming forward and placing a small dainty hand on my shoulder to try and put me at ease.

I feel the air become hot against my skin and my lungs begin working double time as I try to hurry out of the bed, but just as I'm getting my feet on the floor, despite Jace and Seth's efforts to stop me, the doctor walks in and orders that I return to my bed. I shake my head, feeling tears well up in my eyes. This isn't good, I don't want him here. I don't want to hear what he has to say, I don't want everyone else to hear what he has to say.

"Kai, if you need, we can give you something to relax your nerves. Do you think that would be best right now?" The doctor asks in a slow, but clear voice.

I frown, but nod as I try to catch my breath and fight the panic trying to take over and drag me down.

He does something with the IV before turning to me, "It's weak, so we can still discuss what we need to. Kai, do you understand why you fainted today?"

Everyone in the room looks at me as I blush and shake my head, "No, S-Sir."

"Are you sure?" The doctor asks again, frowning at me as I nod. "Mr. Harkins, are you aware of the complications that can come from lack of nutrition?"

"Are you saying he's not eating again!?" Zoe exclaims at the same time Jace says, "That can't be right! It's not, is it Kai?"

I look down at my hands, staring at the IV entering my arm as I cower in shame, "I... I never meant to let it get out of hand. I just... I've been a little stressed lately and just haven't had an appetite."

"Well, you must have been doing this for some time, because your blood sugar levels have dropped considerably, which is why you fainted. The two most common reasons for this in men is either diabetes, or an eating disorder; and sir you do not have diabetes," The doctor says, looking at me sadly.