11 | i swear he's in love with you

♫  TEARS! / 5sos  ♫

there's a hole in the sun
caving in but i feel it
wake me up when it's over

🍊 🍊 🍊

| real life |

real life

Ten minutes later, Nick and I are sitting near our flight's boarding area, and Matt and Chris have wandered off on a mission to find Chris and I something for dinner.

"Airports are exhausting," Nick groans, stretching his legs out. We are tucked in the back corner, away from the busy crowds coming and going down the walkway. Nick and Matt were recognized by a couple teen girls while Chris and I were in the candy store, but thankfully no one else has approached them, since Nick is already panicking about our flight as is.

"I love airports." My eyes glide over the crowds in front of me. Hundreds of voices mix together to create a jumble of words, and although it is loud, I find it peaceful. "Isn't it crazy to think about the fact that everyone is coming from and going to different places? They could be going backpacking around Europe, or returning home to visit family. Think about how much everyone here has seen and experienced? I just want to talk to everyone and hear their travel stories."

Nick hums beside me, and when I look at him, he is smiling softly at me. "What?" I question, adjusting my posture so I am facing him instead of the crowds.

"Your passion for people and the world is just really cool," Nick shrugs, his smile not fading. "I'm excited to see where that takes you. But I also will forever find it ironic that you love airports so much, yet absolutely despise flying."

Nick's words send a warm feeling to my heart. I often receive compliments on my accomplishments in school or my dedication to my work, but I am rarely encouraged in other aspects of life. Ever since I did my year abroad, I have been itching to get back out into the world, to meet more people, experience more cultures, and to explore more of our beautiful earth. I have always considered travelling to simply be something I enjoy, but the idea that maybe it could be more than just a hobby is absolutely mindblowing.

"Thank you, Nick," I smile warmly at him, reaching over to wrap my arms around him. "But you know I get too restless when flying! I swear it taps into my claustrophobia or some shit."

"Believe me, I am aware of how restless you get," Nick chuckles, hugging me back. "I cannot say that I'm disappointed that you are sitting with Chris and not with me."

"And I won't get offended by that since I am aware that I am brutal to fly with," I pull away from Nick, grinning at the brown haired boy. "I am so excited to get to spend the next three months with you."

"Not as excited as me," Nick argues defiantly. "I will finally be living with someone who has decent taste in everything."

I laugh, grabbing my water bottle for a sip. "I don't think Chris and Matt have terrible taste."

"You don't live with them," Nick's voice is dry, an exasperated expression settling on his face.

I chuckle, leaning back in my seat. "I guess I'll learn pretty soon," I pause, a thought dawning on me. "Chris called me cute earlier. It was weird."

"Why was it weird?" Nick questions, checking his phone for the time.

"He just doesn't usually say things like that," I shrug, honestly not knowing why the single word left me feeling unsettled. "It threw me off."

"He's in love with you, I swear to God." Nick doesn't even look at me when he says this, apparently being completely serious.

"Ha ha, you're so funny," I deadpan, checking my own phone. "Have either of them texted you? They're going to start boarding any minute."