4

Felt scrutinized Subaru from head to toe, asking with a sharp gaze, "How do you know I stole the brooch? Are you my client's rival or something?" With a suspicious expression, she kept her focused gaze on Subaru.

"Sort of," Subaru shrugged his shoulders, avoiding unnecessary talk about the job as they began their conversation. Despite the conversation being very job-oriented, it had a friendly vibe, especially due to Subaru's casual attitude.

Felt turned to Elara, her eyes hardening. "Why did you bring this brat? The slum district isn't exactly safe."

Elara seemed slightly uncomfortable with these words, "I have a name, it's Elara. And I'm not a brat; I'm half-Oni," she said, puffing her cheeks.

Rom seemed a bit surprised, "Oni? I thought their lineage had died out; it's been a while since I've seen an Oni."

Excitedly, Elara asked, "Are there other Onis?"

Subaru quietly cleared his throat, desiring to keep the conversation work-oriented. "I think we should cut the unnecessary chatter," he said, attempting to change the subject, signaling to the others that things needed to progress.

After a while, there was a knock on the door, and when it opened, Emilia arrived. Subaru felt a strange sense of nostalgia at her familiar appearance.

"PROTECT HER!" Subaru yelled, and Puck immediately intercepted Elsa's attack. As Puck halted Elsa's attack, Subaru stood between them. "I'll handle this," Subaru said. When Elsa tried to attack, Subaru swiftly punched her face, causing her to crash into the wall.

As Elara and others watched in shock, Subaru turned to Emilia, "Protect the others; I'll deal with her," in a relaxed manner.

Elsa silently stood up, miraculously unharmed. Felt noticed the situation and shouted at Elsa, "Hey, there was a deal!"

Elsa cheerfully replied, "We don't negotiate when the owner is present, right?" However, this cheerfulness unnerved those around her. Her words were cut off with a slow and mocking applause.

The person applauding was none other than Subaru. "Now I understand why you're Mother's favorite," he said mockingly. "When things don't go your way, killing people without logic and human emotions is quite despicable. Just like Mother."

Elsa's pale skin almost turned completely white. The mention of "Mother" alone was enough to frighten her. Her mind battled with dark shadows of the past, and Subaru's mocking words filled her with deep concern. Elsa stood frozen.

Tension thickened in the air. Along with Subaru's playful gaze, Rom launched a sudden attack, aiming his giant staff at Elsa. Elsa swiftly defended herself and managed to dodge the attack.

Rom's eyes glowed with anger. Immediately after the attack, he struck again with his staff aimed at Elsa. However, this time Elsa countered the attack with a dazzling maneuver, catching Rom off guard.

Elsa successfully defended against Rom's attack, and suddenly, Subaru intervened. He swiftly reached Elsa, narrowly saving her from a sharp strike by Rom's staff, but a small cut appeared on his neck.

With a somewhat mocking expression about the cut on Rom's neck, Subaru said, "Easy there, Old Timer."

A tense silence hung in the surroundings. As Subaru turned to Emilia and the others, saying, "I'm going to finish this; take cover," Elsa attacked again. Subaru skillfully evaded Elsa's attack, grabbing her left arm and delivering a strong kick to her abdomen. Elsa crashed into the wall once again.

Subaru quickly scanned the surroundings; the house walls seemed sturdy. He pondered for a moment, slowly raising his hands. "Blue, Roar Free; Red, Roar Free," he muttered. With deep focus, a blue and a red energy sphere emerged, slowly rotating in the air.