Chapter XI: "My Wife, She's Pregnant"

Days and weeks passed in the relentless search for Kaitlyn, yet she remained elusive as if she had vanished from the face of the earth. Each clue led to another dead end, leaving Dean and Carlo, the private investigator, frustrated and at a loss. Carlo, a friend and investigator, scratched his head in bewilderment, contemplating the seemingly well-planned disappearance. His searches yielded no results, and the absence of any trace suggested someone covering Kaitlyn's tracks. He leaned against the gate of the Ashenwood's sold mansion, watching the caretaker and gardener diligently tending to the property.

With crossed arms, he pondered deeply. Attempts to gather information from the caretaker and gardener proved futile. They appeared honest, their words consistent with no slips of the tongue.

Carlo sighed in surrender, ready to convey the disheartening news to Dean. As he reached for his phone, intending to share the grim reality, a tall figure appeared on the scene. The woman called out to the caretaker, her voice echoing in the air. Carlo paused, his phone still in hand, as the caretaker turned toward the approaching figure. The unexpected presence injected a spark of hope into the otherwise bleak situation.

The woman, appearing familiar to the old caretaker, engaged in a conversation that piqued Carlo's interest. Hiding behind tall bushes, he observed as the caretaker nodded and hastened to show her something. An envelope changed hands, and the woman, expressing gratitude with a bow, walked away.

Excitement bubbling within him, Carlo immediately dialed Dean's number. As the call connected, Dean answered with a voice still groggy, tired, and tinged with the remnants of a night of drinking.

"Dean, you won't believe what just happened!"

Dean a bit irritated, answers, "What, Carlo? I'm not in the mood for games."

"I'm serious! The caretaker, he just handed an envelope to a woman, and she seemed to know something about Kaitlyn.", he informs.

"What? Who is she?", Dean asked a bit skeptical.

"I don't know, but it looked important. I think we might have a lead!"

"Lead? We've been running in circles for weeks. I don't have time for false hope.", Dean responds but Carlo insists, trusting his instinct and intuition.

"Dean, this might be different. Meet me at the mansion ASAP."

Dean groans in surrender, "Fine, but this better not be another dead end."

Carlo hung up, a glimmer of hope in his eyes.
While waiting for Dean's arrival, Carlo decided to follow the woman. He discovered her taking photos of what seemed to be a letter. Curiosity getting the best of him, he impulsively grabbed the piece of paper from her hands, startling her. She turned to face him, a mix of fear and anger in her eyes.

"Hey! What the hell do you think you're doing?!" she snapped her voice a combination of surprise and anger.

Carlo, defensive yet curious, replied, "I need to know what's in that letter. It might be related to someone I'm searching for."

"You can't just grab things from people! Who are you?" The woman's tone held a guarded intensity.

Carlo, frustration evident in his voice, retorted, "I'm just trying to find answers. If you know something about this person I'm looking for, please, help me."

"Why should I tell you anything?" The woman's stance remained defiant.

"Because we've been searching for her for weeks, and this might be a breakthrough. Please, I need your cooperation," Carlo urged, the urgency of their quest resonating in his words started scanning the woman from head to toe and noticed her name tag. She's a doctor. The tag reads: Dr. Fiona M. Salvatore, GP. Suspicion creeps in, and he decides to ask her directly if she knows Kaitlyn Ashenwood or is related to her since he saw her at Kaitlyn Ashenwood's residence just now.