S I X

Beneath the surface,
Where emotions collide,
A turbulent ocean,
Where feelings reside.
Invisible forces
Press against the ear,
A tale of survival,
Dread drawing near.

A feeble smile,
A facade so frail,
Hiding the echoes
Of an untold tale.
Deep breaths draw
In the suffocating air,
In the aftermath,
A world stripped bare.

●○●

Evanna sat at her desk, deep in thought about the impending board meeting with the creditors and investors. The fate of Lawson Company hung in the balance, and today's meeting would determine whether the creditors would agree to Alan's request for an extension.

Her secretary, Lisa, entered the room with a stack of documents.
"Good morning, Ma’am. The board meeting is scheduled to start in an hour."

Evanna nodded, her expression serious.
"Make sure all the necessary documents are in order, and arrange for a video conference with the creditors. We need to present a strong case for the extension."

"Of course, Ma'am. I've prepared a detailed report on the company's current financial situation and the steps we've taken to address it."
Lisa assured.

"Good. I'll review it before the meeting."
Evanna replied, her mind already strategizing the key points she would emphasize during the discussion.

As the meeting approached, Evanna felt a knot of nervousness tightening in her stomach. Composing herself, she was about to enter the boardroom when a familiar voice disrupted her thoughts.

“Evanna Lawson! Long time no see!”
David Wilde's greeting came with a smirk, and Evanna couldn't hide her displeasure.

"David Wilde!"
She responded, her tone cool.
"What brings you here?"

A smug expression crossed David's face as he leaned against the wall.
"Well, I hope you haven’t forgotten that my father is one of the major investors in this company."

Evanna frowned, irritation evident in her eyes.
"I haven't forgotten, unfortunately. But I didn’t get what YOU are doing here?”

Already burdened with numerous concerns, Evanna dreaded that David's presence would only exacerbate the existing problems, adding an unwelcome layer of complication to the already delicate situation.

David chuckled, a smug expression on his face.
"Well, when it concerns my father's investments, I make it my business to be present."

Rolling her eyes, Evanna retorted,
"Your father's interests are duly noted, David. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a board meeting to attend."

David stepped in her way, blocking her path.
"You know, Evanna, I heard about your little financial crisis. Desperate times call for desperate measures, don't they?"

Evanna clenched her jaw, trying to maintain her composure.
"If you're implying something, get to the point."

He leaned in, his tone mocking.
"I can help you, you know. My father's influence in this company can make things easier for you. In return, a small favor."

Evanna raised an eyebrow, skeptical.
"And this 'small favor' wouldn’t be handing you the whole company, now would it?"

"Absolutely correct."
David smirked.