So much so , that even when she couldn't come Aswini secured the biggest piece of fish for her, out of habit. Kept the new books untouched because Mrinal loves to open the new books first and smell them.

Hence, when she didn't show for a week he started feeling restless. Maharaja had always been cruel to her. The small girl had to face so much more than she deserved. It pains Aswini to see her being treated like that. But his hands are tied. He loves her with everything but he also can't ignore the fact that she is truly the daughter of the devil and not his. Her safety, her protection, doesn't lie in his hands. He feels ashamed and helpless.

"Mrinal...." He calls when he realizes someone tiptoeing into the dalan from behind his armchair like a thief. And then he hears a sigh of defeat.

"Baba." Mrinalini utters.

"Come to me." He urges and she hesitantly walks towards him. Her hair is open. Her striped saree is draped over her red full sleeve sweater. Her eyes are puffy, the skin around them has turned light yellowish. Aswini gulps as he shuts his eyes.

"Does it hurt a lot?" He asks opening his eyes and looking at her. She slowly kneels infront of him.

"It doesn't baba. I am a strong girl." She answers smiling at him. His heart clenches. He raises his hand and places it on top of her head out of affection.

"You used to come to me whenever you were hurt. You don't anymore. Have I failed you Mrinal?" He asks looking outside the window.

"Baba.." Mrinal utters.

"Yes I know I have. And.. and I am so sorry for that sweetheart." He utters as his voice breaks.

"Please don't think like that baba. You mean everything to me. I am lucky to have you as my guardian. These tiny bruises do nothing to me. They'll come and go. You are all I need. I know you cannot fight him because he is way stronger than you in power. If anything happens to you, Ridhu da or anyone of this family, of my family, I'll never be able to forgive myself. So please don't even think about taking that risk. All of you mean a lot to me than you understand." She utters, as tears pour down her cheeks.

Aswini pulls her head against his chest, as his own eyes tear up.

¤¤¤¤¤

The table has the usual tray placed on it, with one empty glass. One empty glass and nothing. When Mrinalini enters the room Aniruddha is deep in his studies. She knows from his stiffened shoulders that he knows about her presence but he doesn't ask any question.

"Where is my glass?" She asks frowning.

"You want something? Go to the kitchen and asks my mother to give you that." Aniruddha turns his face at her. His right elbow placed on the back of the chair as his left hand rests on the table infront of him. His eyes fall on her yellowish bruises, he clenches his jaw then turns around.

"What's wrong with you? Why are you talking to me like that?" She asks feeling unwelcomed.

"Nothing. And next time when you need to come inside my room knock on the door." He says keeping his eyes fixed at the documents.

"I never knocked. Why would I now? Why are you behaving like this Ridhu da?" She whispers as her eyes start tearing up. Aniruddha's grey eyes fall on her obsidian eyes. If he felt anything he doesn't show it as he stands up slowly.

"Because now everything will change. You have decided to get married according to your father's choice, I agreed to do the same. I'll be marrying someone soon." It's a weird feeling that starts to grow in the pit of her stomach. Suddenly his rude behavior doesn't seem like a problem, it's something bigger than that.