Chapter : 22

No You, Means No Sanity.

Life has never been fair to Arjun. From the orphanage that kept him separated in a single cabin because they thought he was a freak to his adoptive father dying infront of eyes, he has suffered more than he deserved. But he doesn't blame his fate, his suffering made him strong. Strong enough to endure the pain that followed him from another life.

He forgot about his past, be it the life in the orphanage or the life he had in his previous life, until one fine morning during his vacation, when he was standing outside the homestay looking over the mountains, mesmerized by its beauty, that his eyes fell on the person that made him question his existence.

She was carrying a school bag on her back. Her maroon sweater and checked skirt along with her ponytail, bounced as she ran towards the pull car. Her olive skin shined through the sunlight.

He remembers her glancing at him with her obsidian eyes in her move, not for long just a second or so. His life turned upside down. Everything he deliberately tried to forget huddled back with such an impact that he couldn't hear his friends calling for him the entire time.

He was seeing her right infront of his eyes, the girl who inhabited in his subconscious from the day he gained his senses.

It's a curse to remember things that only increases the darkness within you. It's a curse to remember all of it.

And he is cursed from the day he was born.

But by the time he saw her for the first time he has already mastered to control his mind. He knew everything and he needed to stop the history from repeating itself. He knew the purpose of his life. He knew how to get rid of it, the curse that made him fall in love with a girl he has never met in this life.

After completing his MBBS he chose a private hospital in Kurseong to practice and study for his PG. A place anyone would've dreaded to come. People who are accustomed with the hustle and bustle of a city like Kolkata can enjoy the silence of the hills for a month or a few months, but staying there for probably the rest of one's life is not even an option for them. He chose it willingly, he kept trying to secure a seat in the online PG programs simultaneously.

And one fine day he met this guy, who he knew already. The CEO of Nagpati Enterprises, Daivik Raj Nagpati, his best friend from a life that certainly existed somewhere, back at some time. Dev met with an accident and he happened to be his savior from the beginning of it. He remembered him, remembered his name was Aditya back then, in the other life, he knew what happened to him and he knew if he kept in touch with him, he might truly get to see his sister from the other life one day, if that's what fate wants.

He did.
Teressa Brown, he met her.

But long before that, there was this girl that used to teach in their preschool, Mountain Rainbow, out of her goodwill. Long before he met Teressa.

Her name was Pihu Bhattacharya.

Every month he came for Dev's check up, he saw her leaving for her home. He knowingly chose that time because he knew he would get a glimpse of her. After seeing him a few times she started to smile at him making his heart flutter and he always smiled back. That's it. That's how it all began.

As it is, life has never been fair to him. Because he was cursed and he saw things he never should have. He saw how she looked at Manik, how she admired him. He observed how she learnt he hates spicy food when his own family members overlooked it or how she brought boxes and boxes of his favourite muffins and baked goods and handed it over to Pratima ji, without ever mentioning him.
It started with that one piece of cake that she saved for "if anyone comes later" in a small function of Mountain Rainbow. That day Arjun was one of the invitees and he was one of those who joined later. He saw her happily handing him her piece of cake but saving that one in particular. He was curious, blame his mind for it but he waited long enough to watch her giving the piece to Manik. Proving his fear, the history started repeating itself.