3: It doesn't feel as cool as it looks

I grounded myself with one hand, assuring the reality beneath my fingertips, as the other hand instinctively pressed against my stomach when the wave of nausea hit. We left the way she entered. It doesn't feel as cool as it looks.

"Your body is weak at the moment. It won't phase you at full strength," Alison helped me up and wrapped an arm around me for support. The kitten on her shoulder jumped down and sat in front of us to watch with curious eyes.

"Why would we ever need to do that again?"

"A few reasons. I was thinking you may want to look into Cole's pack sometime this week. It is important to find an environment you feel comfortable in."

"You people don't have cars?"

"Well we do, but they live a few hours away. We will travel however best suits you though. A mini road trip could be fun."

A bell jingling ahead of us turned my attention to the room we occupied. "Woah. . ."

"Do you like it?"

"Like you even have to ask." My eyes traveled up the carefully carved staircase to the dark walls. Lanterns floated around the room, gently casting a warm light on the statues. Verdant plants framed the large windows that looked out into the forest. There's even a fountain- "You live here?"

"Yes, with some of my pack. This is the original packhouse. My pack made another some time ago, so I remodeled this one. Well, I told Jaylon what I wanted and he and some help made it happen. I saw too much beauty in this place to let it be forgotten. Much of my family's history is here also."

"Some husband. . ." I mumbled under my breath, moving from her support to get a better look. "So I can live here?"

"If you stay, you can live anywhere you wish. We have quite a few housing options but the packhouses are the most common for the wolves, especially your age." I focused on the jingles again as I realized they were moving toward me. A red bundle of fur emerged from the shadows, rushing past me to jump into her arms. "This is one of my familiars, Shax."

"A fox with a kitty bell?"

"Don't remind him. Oh, and my tiny sidekick here is Morpheus, my other familiar," she motioned toward the cat next to her. "Think of them as cuddly witch aids. Mine are more clingy than most."

"ALISON!" A voice echoed from the second floor.

"People have got to stop greeting me this way-"

"Where have you been?" One man shimmered in beside her as another jumped down to the floor behind me. "I have been to hell and back looking for you."

"I haven't been gone long enough for you to do that."

"How many times have I told you to alert me before you leave?"

"How many times have I told you that I am Luna of this pack and I have to alert no one of my departure?"

"At least tell me where you were."

"With my husband, retrieving my friend Talia here from Cole's pack. She may be joining us permanently. I must be seeing her to her room now." Shax threatened the first with a low growl until Alison put distance between them and grabbed my hand.

"Since when do we seek out new members?" the second man questioned.

"Since she sparked my interest. One of you have Carissa meet me in the herb kitchen."

"You may have forgotten that we are not your assistants."

"No, but you are more than capable of completing the task."