四 [the caterpillar]

Start from the beginning

"I know you're there," he suddenly spoke.

She stilled.

He peered up. Staring straight at her as if he could see past the bookshelves. His gaze was intensely piercing - like he had the ability to unravel all of her secrets.

"It's rude to stare," His lips twitched, amused. "Aren't you going to say hi?"

She didn't want to.

Kira wanted to be mad at this beautiful boy. So, she responded with narrowed eyes and stepped out from her hiding spot. He tracked her every move, not with fear that she would attack, but with fascination. Like he had never seen a girl before. Or maybe a girl like her.

She felt as vulnerable as the book in his hand.

The roles of predator and prey dramatically shifted.

"You're in my library. Why?" she questioned, curtly.

His eyes lit with delightful surprise. "Oh, you must be Kira – the daughter."

"Stepdaughter," she corrected.

He didn't smile but his moss-green eyes did. "Right."

"So, answer the question," she demanded, inching closer. "This area is closed off."

"Someone said I could find a certain book in here, and I thought it was worth the risk."

Kira recognized the book in his hand.

Anna Karenina.

Kira loved that book as soon as she found it tucked in the fiction section of the library. A book about love and loss.

"You've read it?" he asked.

Kira blinked. "Yes. A few times."

She surprised him again. "I didn't think a girl like you would understand a book like this."

"I didn't think a guy like you would enjoy a book like that.

He broke into a full-on smile. Her heart was in the palm of his hands, and he didn't even know it. He didn't even know that all it took was revealing his dimples. Beautiful dimples.

The air was lost from her lungs.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Kira. The name is Kiryl," he introduced. "Would you like to take a seat?"

She was hesitant but drew out the chair opposite him. His grin may have disappeared, but it remained in his eyes. He closed the book and leaned forward.

"So, Kira, I've heard many things about you," Kiryl's voice dropped a few octaves, laced with a flirty playfulness. Kira brushed it off.

"And, yet, I've heard nothing about you."

He clutched his heart as if she wounded him.

Did he know that he ripped her heart out from her chest?

"Ouch," he gasped. "I didn't realize how insignificant I am to a bigshot such as yourself."

"Cut to the chase, Kirgirl."

"It's Kiryl."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," This time, Kira leaned towards him until there was a ruler width of space between them. "What do you want?"

She was so full of distrust. Maybe Kiryl saw that. His eyes softened, making his face more handsome.

"I told you – this was the only place I could find this book."

"Bull."

"Nasty words from a little girl. How old are you? Thirteen?"

"Fourteen."