Day 9: Winter Market (Soukoku)

Day 9, Prompt 10: Winter Market || Murmuring crowds, rows of stalls, and the smell of food

Royal AU

The winter market in the kingdom of Yokohama was always a sight to behold, held once a year.

All around the frozen, glistening lake dusted with pure, white snow, stood light blue tents selling all sorts of things. Food, souvenirs, decorations; all had people flocking towards them, as they set out to buy whatever their hearts wanted.

The laughter and sounds of the citizens speaking with each other filled the air, as the prince of the Yokohama kingdom strolled along through the market, smiling at the sight before him.

From sparkling, glass snowflake sculptures to homemade pine trees dusted with white powder making it seem like snow, and fresh, steaming loaves of bread to wool scarves of every colour.

All of it had amazed Osamu Dazai, the prince of the Yokohama kingdom, his hazel eyes sparkling in wonder.

However, the one thing that had truly caught his eye, and what seemed like the most impressive object, were the beautiful snow globes sparkling in the sunlight beneath a blue tent.

As Dazai walked closer, his eyes began to catch the little details; how every globe had a different scene inside; snowmen gathered around a pine tree, a Christmas tree with ornaments of every colour, and a stack of gifts with silky, shimmering wrapping paper.

The stand that held up the round sphere was made of the finest wood, smooth as silk and lined with gold designs.

And the outer layer. It seemed so much like real, smooth-as-glass ice, the prince had unknowingly reached out and barely grazed his fingertips on the glass, almost expecting it to melt where his warm finger had touched. And yet, only cold glass had met his skin.

"These are beautiful," Dazai murmured, as he held one up, inspecting it closer. Looking up, he met the sapphire eyes of the ginger merchant, asking, "Did you make these yourself?"

The merchant blushed. "Yes, Your Highness, I did. I'm pleased to hear you like them."

"Who wouldn't? They look so real. How much would it cost for one?"

"I-I would be willing to give one away to the prince himself free of charge."

"Please, I insist. And besides, I cannot take these without some form of payment. These are much too unique and stunning, and I'm sure you have spent hours working on these."

The ginger flushed once again. "I-I'm flattered, but, please..."

"Perhaps a kiss then, if you refuse gold?" the prince teased. "It would be an honour to kiss those beautiful lips."

The ginger merchant averted his gaze. "I..."

Dazai gave a playful sigh. "Would at least your name suffice? I would love to get to know the beautiful creator of the beautiful snow globes."

"Ch-Chuuya Nakahara, Your Highness," the ginger answered quietly.

"Dazai," the prince cut in.

"Huh?" A look of confusion appeared on Chuuya's face.

"Call me Dazai. 'Your Highness' seems too formal; at least, with one whom I would like to consider a friend."

Chuuya blinked. "You wish for me to...call you, the prince, by your name?"

"Perhaps you misheard me.Yes, I wish exactly that." A warm smile painted Dazai's pink lips.

"As you wish...Dazai," the merchant finally spoke, his fingers intertwining together.