Prologue: Yue

Word Counts: 1036 words.

My name was Yue Sae, and I was born with golden spoon

My name was Yue Sae, and I was born with golden spoon. You may be wondering what exactly does that mean and be not afraid. For I will enlighten you.

My father was Jin Sae, an eccentric earthbender with a genius mind. My father was a protege trained by Toph Beifong herself, though instead of becoming a police officer like many others, my father pursued his passion and created tools for bender to utilize. He was quick to rise to riches as he was once one of the wealthiest men too.

My mother on the other hand was Mirae Sae, an air acolyte with the smoothest voice mankind has ever heard. Through her love for jazz, my mother raised to a world of fame by singing and uses the riches she reaps for the less fortunate.

I was born out of wedlock, but my parents love each other so much that there was no hesitation to marry each other and have me, Yue Sae.

And there was I, a healthy baby girl with eyes the color of emerald, fawn skin and hair the color of ebony. My father relentlessly teases me about how soon I will grow and be such a heartbreaker. I often miss his awful jokes.

Not only was I born into a family so rich, if that wasn't enough, I was also born with a gift. I'm born a natural metalbender.

One would envy me, and I would understand why, but they should not envy me any longer. My life only went downhill the moment I turned four years old.

My mother died of terminal illness and my father soon followed her and was assassinated by an unknown killer. Auntie Lin Beifong, who in truth was my father's best friend, decided to take me in but more often than not, dropped me off with Tenzin and Penma since she was ever so busy. I never blame her.

With Tenzin I learned to live like an airbender, and learned all of their arts though I was never an airbender. Tenzin took notice that though I am not gifted with airbending, I understand wind like any other airbender, and he was very proud of me.

When my life seemed fine, I had to deal with another loss, this time very personal. My vision worsened over time that by the age of eight, I was seeing blur and relying solely on lights. I was going blind, and Lin never stopped her arguments with Tenzin, as she insisted that maybe she will never be good enough to be my guardian. I never thought so, but Lin Beifong possesses an incredibly dense skull.

I was at my lowest point, there was simply nothing that felt right.

But at that night when I was at my lowest, I met a young boy named Mako. He was trying to pickpocket a middle-aged man when I caught him red-handed. I never snitched him of course; I merely stopped him by dragging him out of the situation before it went south.

Apparently, he has to steal so that he and his brother could live, and when I heard his story, I knew my livelihood was somewhat better than this homeless orphan. My heart ached as I felt like maybe I am used to being so spoiled that I never thought about it. How worse other people have it than me. I feel so guilty being so selfish. I still have riches from inheritance, and if that's not enough, I have people taking care of me.

I gave Mako every piece of jewelry that I had at that time, it was a pair of bracelets, a pair of simple gold earrings and my locket filled with pictures of my late parents. After taking what I needed from said locket, I gave Mako the golds and hoped that it would be enough to save him and his brother. I pray that my golds could feed them tonight, tomorrow and the day after tomorrow.

I never met Mako again, but that encounter with him made me realize something.

I still have adults that care for me, and I want to repay their kindness by being better. I will lose my sight entirely sooner or later, but before that happens, I decided to stop crying and seek wisdom from known masters.

I stopped Lin and Tenzin's argument by choosing to seek Toph and train under her. After I gave both adults a piece of my mind and practically begged. They agree to at least help me find the now Hermit protege.

From being a girl showered in gold, I had to live in swaps with the very odd grandma that never misses her chance to berate me or bully me. It's not that she's evil, it's just how Toph showed her love, apparently.

Training with Toph was grueling and almost impossible to handle. If I cry within her earshot, she will tease me to death and I would have to train myself to find a spot that is beyond Toph, which was a hefty challenge.

But thanks to the retired genius, I've learned to see like Toph and bends like Toph. Though Toph herself says there's nothing left to teach me, I'm sure she's just tired of me and wishes for me to leave her alone and find enlightenments somewhere else now that I could at least see and are capable as much as everyone else.

So, with nowhere else to go, I went back to Republic City, where I enlisted myself to Beifong Metalbending Academy and took the world by quite the storm for surprising even the masters at the academy. To force your enemy to feel the weight of earth mass was unheard of, it was the first time I broke through my limits, and because of it, I was seen by many.

The day I graduated was the day I became Yue Beifong. I was no longer a fragile little girl that Lin was afraid to break due to her brash nature, she sees me as an equal and finally gives herself another chance to become someone's rock, my guardian.

My name is Yue Beifong, and this is my story towards self-acceptance, love and revenge.