"Hello-Hi-Bye-Bye, Madhumati Ji, I didn't think you celebrated Holi Ka Dahan since it's quite expensive for the general public, you know. But where did you get so much money to do all this?" The whole family stared at her shockingly. Is she serious right now? We came here to fix our relationship with the Guptas, not ruin it.

"Manorama..." Nani started, but Bua Ji stopped her with a hand on her arm and turned to look at Mami. They're close enough to stop each other like that?

"By the blessings of Nandkishore, we were always able to celebrate Holi Ka Dahan, Manorama Ji. And trust me, it's not that expensive. You'll know if you had to host it with your personal expenses." Bua Ji answered like Mami hadn't just insulted her.

"We always host Holi Ka Dahan at Shantivaan. And that is one of the best celebrations in all of Delhi." Mami replied.

"Arre, Manorama Ji, you didn't understand me. What I meant was for you to host it. Alone. All by yourself. Without Shantivaan." Bua Ji replied after she slightly shook her head. "Then only you can understand if it's expensive or not."

"Hello-Hi-Bye-Bye! Who do you think you are to insult me? All I said was that Shantivaan hosts the best Holi Ka Dahan. I was just talking in general." Mami said, looking completely offended.

Bua Ji released a sigh dramatically while rolling her eyes before saying, "Then say that na Nandkishore. I thought you were insulting us. That's why I also started to return the favor."

I pressed the back of my fingers over my lips as I felt my brows rise with amusement while Mami stared at her dumbfounded.

"Lunch is ready." Payal announced from behind, breaking the awkward silence, and everyone got up on their feet as soon as possible and took their seats at the dining table to avoid any further conversations like this.

*

I had planned to talk with Nani, Di, and Akash about what they wanted to do next, but Nani and Di both said they'd talk about it after Holi, to which Akash agreed obediently. When I tried to object, Nani said, "I talked with Garima; she also said that we'd talk about this the day after Holi. Okay?" When I didn't answer, with a sigh, she added, "Now get ready for the Dahan and be on the front porch by 6:00."

"Nani, you know, I don't..."

"You are coming. And I don't want any more unnecessary discussions on something like this. We are guests here. So, be on your best behavior. Even if you had to pretend." She then looked over her shoulders, where Mami stood, hiding behind the pillar. What is she doing? "All of you." And she went back to the kitchen.

I make one mistake, and she takes away all my rights to even decide for myself. Fan-tastic.

It was exactly 6 in the evening when I stood with my hand in my pockets and leaning by my shoulders against one of the wooden pillars of the open hallway in the front of the house and stared at the porch where Manoj was adding finishing touches to the wood ready for the bonfire, with Bua Ji instructing him, and my whole family except Di sat on chairs on the right, near the three-step stair that leads down on the porch for the house.

"Chote, let's go." Di's voice came from my left before she slightly touched my arm. She had a tray of something in her hand as she gave me a smile and went down the stairs to the table on the left, which was already full of things that I didn't know about.