Chapter Eleven: Mom's Update Party (August 1, 2014)

Today was Mr. Utano's mother's birthday-- her 63rd birthday, to be exact. Why this was such a big deal for was something Mr. Utano or especially Mr. Yoshida would've never known. Either way, it was going to take a good while to drive all the way to Eugene, and they were going to have to rush to get there. And rushing was the last thing Mr. Yoshida wanted to do, but he wasn't going to get his wish with Akira.

     "Akira, hurry your ass up!" Mr. Yoshida hollered, stomping towards the bathroom downstairs, "We're gonna be late if you don't get dressed, like, right now! You know how much this means to Sean!"

     Mr. Yoshida stormed into the bathroom, pushing the wooden brown door out of the way, and swiftly tugged a white T-shirt over Akira's head. He then handed Akira a plastic black comb and demanded him to comb his hair. Then, as he was walking back down the narrow hallway, he hastily pulled his own black hair into a loose ponytail. He hadn't bothered brushing it for too long. They had to hurry, didn't they?

     After he had washed his face and put his shoes on, Mr. Yoshida hurried back down the hallway into the bathroom's doorway to see how Akira was doing. It turned out that little bastard was dawdling-- brushing his short, black hair as slowly as possible to avoid... something (probably Lily). Either way, this was not going to work out for Mr. Utano's family.

     "Akira, your hair is short!" Mr. Yoshida groaned, snatching the comb out of Akira's hand and throwing it back inside the medicine cabinet, "You shouldn't be spending this much time brushing it!" He pushed Akira out of the bathroom and asked him where he last placed his shoes.

     "I don't know," Akira answered in a frustrated mumble, stuffing his fists into the pockets of his shorts.

     "Well, go find them then!" Mr. Yoshida shouted. He then paced out of the bathroom and into the living room, mouthing the F-bomb as he walked in circles around the black, velvet couch.

     "What's going on this time?" Mr. Utano asked as he walked into the kitchen and opened a bottle of water.

     Mr. Yoshida plopped down onto the couch and sighed loudly, tapping his finger onto his bouncing leg. "The same thing that happens every time we go out somewhere. What does it look like?" he muttered.

     Mr. Utano shrugged and finished the rest of his drink. He then walked back into his room and grabbed some white sneakers out of the dark closet, which had none of Mr. Yoshida's stuff in it. The less said about the reason for that, the better.

     Finally, Akira found his shoes (red sneakers), and the family hit the road for Eugene! Lidiya, of course, was ready way before everyone else was, so she spent the rest of that time listening to some music on her phone. At that moment, she was listening to "Calm After the Storm" by the Common Linnets. Akira, slumped over the fuzzy, black seats of Mr. Utano's car, tried to play with the cords of the headphones attached to Lidiya's phone.

     "Akira, stop!" Lidiya barked at him, snatching the cord and cradling her phone up to her chest.

     Akira stopped... for five seconds before "Calm After the Storm" ended and "We Got the Power" by Loreen started. That was when he yanked the cord again, managing to unplug Lidiya's headphones this time. Then, all hell broke loose.

 Then, all hell broke loose