Chapter Twenty Eight

Start from the beginning

"Good morning everyone."

They all turn and look at me with narrow puzzled eyes and Jayden nearly falls on top of me in amusement.

"Who is this? And what have you done with Jessica?" I scoff smiling slightly. There was a determination in me to keep some kind of variation of a smile on my face all day no matter how much cheeks hurt.

"All I did was greet you guys."
"Yeah but you sounded... cheery." The way Ryan explained with disgust amused us all.

"Yeah, and you're smiling. Naturally." Maya joins in and I roll my eyes, "FINE. I guess I'll just go back to brooding." I shrug dramatically, dropping my smile as I lower my eyebrows and they all immediately rush to take back their words.

"Nonononono smiling and cheery—good. Brooding— bad." I allow amusement towards their frantic behavior and groan as the bell rings.

"Come on, I'll walk you to class." I put my hand up knowing he would start to drag me and he was much stronger than I was, "Actually, I have to get homework from a friend first. I'll just see you at lunch." I jump up slightly and kiss his cheek before walking in the complete opposite direction of my friend group.

I felt them watch me as I walked away, and I ensured my intentions looked believable. Once the coast was clear I exhale a sigh of relief and drop the act.

In no time, I walked to the side of the school and saw the familiar boy I felt a weird sudden urge to see.

"Rizzo!" He immediately twirls around startled then glares at me in annoyance. I smiled a bit because it reminded me of the first time I met him.

"You can't be doing that bubbles, I tolds you that."

I felt a pang of pain at the nickname. No one had called me that since Lucy died. But he was there when the nickname was born so it was only right for him to be allowed to use it, even if it still stung.

Rizzo was a lanky boy with short shaggy hair and he looked like the type to always be in trouble. He had facial hair and dark eyes, and he kind of looked like he could be in a band or something. He also had a way of talking that made you question if he even payed attention in high school at all, it also didn't help that he had an accent straight out of Jersey.

"Sorry. Guess I forgot."
"That miss Carvahal is always watching."

He pulls out a Ziploc bag full of white sticks that basically looked like rolled up toilet paper, and I knew that was the only thing that gave him reason to fear administration.

"You want one."
"What is it?"
"Really bubbles, you're a senior. You shoulda tried this at least once."

I smirked a little.

"I have." Not on purpose of course but still monumental.

"Just not a—"
"Joint." I nod impressed with his knowledge on the subject though it was probably only due to my naiveness surrounding it.

"So, what brings you around bubbles? Bell just rung, I thought you were a good girl."

He goes back into his book-bag and gets me a soda. I couldn't imagine carrying around everything but schoolwork at school, though it seemed like it was way more fun. He wasn't stressed at all.