Chapter 19: The Party

Mulai dari awal

"You look absolutely divine," Jamie murmured in my ear, grazing his teeth on my lobe. I giggled and kissed him shyly, nerves washing over me.

We headed downstairs together into the great room, which was decked out with decorations. Music was blasting as I was introduced to a string of Alpha's, Beta's, Gamma's and some of their mates barely five steps after entering. Jamie fielded their questions expertly, firmly insisting on no business talk during his sister's party.

"Where is the lady of honour, anyway?" Osian asked, obviously very eager to see her now she'd turned 18. His hands shook slightly with the nerves of potentially meeting his mate.

"She's not down here yet?" Jamie asked, scanning the room.

"No, fashionably late as ever," Osian laughed. My vision hazed over slightly and his bond hummed in the corner of my eye, blindingly bright compared to the soft glow it had been in Rhosilli. I didn't know if his mate was Meredith, but I was absolutely certain she was here. I smiled to myself as Evan made his way over, resolving to help him later in the night if he hadn't found her yet, but decided to give him the chance for it to happen organically.

"Hey guys," Evan said, shoving his hands into his trouser pockets as he approached us.

"Ev, you don't look so good," I said, concerned. He was paler than usual, his heart beating so fast I could see his pulse on the side of his neck.

"I'm okay, honestly, I just need a good night's sleep and I'll be right as rain," he insisted.

"If you say so," I muttered as he turned away from me to talk to the Alpha's. Jamie stayed right by my side, but got lost in that conversation too.

I stood for a moment, taking in the room. There were so many people wandering around, many I knew who smiled at me widely, and many I didn't. From the mainland or other packs. I closed my eyes briefly, taking a second to gather my racing thoughts as I felt overwhelmed, and when they opened there a pink tinge around me again and I felt at peace.

Evans bond sprung from his chest, vibrating with an intensity I hadn't seen yet. Curious, I resolved to follow it into the hall.

"Excuse me for just a moment," I said to the group, most of whom barely heard me. Jamie gave me a quizzical look, but I kissed his cheek gently and he smiled, letting go of my hand and nodded to Derek to follow me.

I followed the line out of the room into the hallway and it trailed off into the wall ahead of me. I stood for a moment, deciding what to do next.

"Luna," Derek said at my shoulder, snapping me out of it. The line fizzled out. "Is everything alright?"

With the rest of my senses returning at full force I suddenly became aware of a muffled sniffling coming from the other side of the stairs.

"Yeah, fine, Derek," I said, brushing him off. "Just give me a minute."

I followed the noise around the staircase, Derek patiently waiting at the other side of the hallway, watching my every move, and found Meredith crouched on the floor. Her back was pressed against the side of the stairs, her head lent back heavily against the rails.

"Meredith, what's wrong?" I asked, stepping forwards.

Her eyes flew open and she dabbed her tears away, looking at me with unadulterated panic. It startled me and my vision clouded over again as I watched her bond fizzle to life, writhing and tugging towards the main room. My hands flew to my mouth as I gasped in realisation.