Chapter 69: Ivy

(Friday, 2:15PM, LA)

Me, Max, Ashlee and Cameron sit down on the curb, sharing a cigarette between us. "Do you think that Riley's boyfriend Charlie actually likes her, Max?" Cameron asks. Max shrugs, kissing Ashlee's cheek. "No clue. Why'd you ask?" She says to him. "Because I saw him kissing Bella the other day near the lockers." I say. Everyone looks at me, gaping. I grin. "Yep. Poor Riley." I snicker. Max chuckles. "It's a shame she's too daft to see that he doesn't like her." Ashlee says. Max grins. "Let's get out of here, guys." I say. We all stand up, brushing off our clothes. "I'm heading home, guys." Cameron says. We all look at him. "What are you up to, Cam?" Max asks him. Cameron laughs. "Chloe is coming round later. I gotta head home to let her in without my parents knowing." He explains. Ashlee chuckles, wrapping an arm around Max's waist. "Well, see ya later then." She says. Cameron waves and heads off, crossing the street and getting into the car parked at the sidewalk. Max shakes her head. "Let's head to mine, guys." She says. I look over at Ashlee and she shrugs, typing something into her phone. "The Uber is right around the corner." She tells Max. Max grins, kissing her cheek.

(3:00PM)

Max uses her key and opens the door. We walk into the house, Max chucking her keys into the bowl. Daniel walks out of the lounge. "Maxine. Trebuie sa vorbim." He says in a language I don't understand. "Mai târziu, tată. Sunt ocupat chiar acum." Max says. Daniel sighs. "Bunica ta vine azi și stă de sărbători." He tells her. Max sighs. "Bine si? nu-mi place de ea." She says. "Nu-ți lipsi de respect bătrânii, Max. Vei sta și vei lua cina cu noi." Daniel tells her. Max glares at him. "Du-te dracului." She says. Daniel eyes fill with fury. "SUFICIENT, MAXINE ASH GRACEFFA." He yells. Max storms upstairs, us following her.

We get into her attic room and she slams the door behind us, making the paint split. She sits down on her, sighing. "Maxie, you okay?" Ashlee says, sitting on Max's lap. Max kisses her gently, cupping her cheek. "Look, kissing is not going to help anything. We'll have to see what happens, okay?" I say to them. Max nods, grabbing a cigarette and lighting it. She takes a puff, running a hand through her hair.

"Fuck this life." She says with tears in her eyes.