Chapter 51: Maxine

(Saturday, 9:30, Joe's Birthday, London)

I get off the plane, running my hands through my short hair. I walk through Heathrow Airport, looking at all the people passing by. I grab my bag off the conveyor belt and walk towards the exit, smiling.

(11:30AM)

I knock on the door. The door opens and I grin. Daniel Howell is standing there, still in his PJs. "Max? What are you doing here?" He says, running a hand through his hair. "I'm here to surprise Joe. I got his text about his new gender neutral name." I say. Daniel nods. He steps aside so that I can come inside. I kick off my shoes and run upstairs. I get to Joe's door, taking a deep breath. I knock on the door. "What?" A voice says. "Open the door, fucker." I laugh. The door opens and Joe wraps his arms around me. "What the fuck are you doing in London?" He shrieks. "Inside voice, baby!" Phil shouts. Joe blushes, making me giggle. I enter his room and he shuts the door behind me. "I got your text. What's your new name, then?" I ask, sitting on the beanbag in his room. Joe looks at the floor.

"It's Jamie." He says. I grin. "I like it." I say. He looks at me. "I've already the rest of the group. They said that it suits me. But I wanted to hear what you think." Jamie says. I stand up and hug him. "I love it, Jammy Dodger." I grin. Jamie rolls his eyes. "Get dressed. We're going out." I say. "Okay. I'm going take you to the skate park in Shoreditch. You'll like it." He says. I grin again.