XVI. Flying out of the Hawks Nest

:・゚✧:・.☽˚。・゚✧:・.:

Lily's POV

THE FIVE OF us sailed to Rixon's Cove with adrenaline still racing through our veins and the sense of disbelief of how we left the party hanging in the air.

The HMS Pogue hit the shore of the sheltered bay just as JJ finished filling us in on what happened after he was arrested.

"That's a lot of money,  J," I fret once he told the rest about his restitution. "Let me talk to my dad or mom, maybe-"

"No." JJ shook his head, already knowing what I was going say, and helped me off the boat.

I gave him a look. "You know pops loves you."

"After making a scene and embarrassing him in front of all those Kooks? I don't think so."

"It was cute," I defended with a frown.

"You aren't giving me any money, Lils."

"I wouldn't be giving it," I wagered, watching as the others started a fire to sit around. "Consider it a loan. If John B's lead checks out then you'll have no problem paying it back. I'm not going to let you-"

"Lillian." JJ's tone was stern and left no room for further argument. He leaned forward so his face was closer to mine "My answer's no. Now help me take this suit off."

"Alright, grumpy."

Despite my claims about how good he looked in a suit, JJ changed back into his regular attire and joined the rest of us while we waited for John B to share his latest breakthrough.

"Hey, guys," Pope said as he sat down on a fallen log. "My dad's already gonna kill me, so what's this mandatory meeting about?"

John B looked to JJ, shooting him finger guns, and the blond shrugged. "Might as well tell him, man, before we're gaffed."

My eyes widened and I glanced up at JJ from where I was sat under his arm. "I'm sorry, did you just say gaffed? Like impaled? With a hook?"

John B rubbed his hands together, ignoring my concern. "You guys ready for this?"

Kie looked at him in excitement. "Yeah."

"Not if it's gonna get us gaffed."

John B shot me a look that heavily resembled that of a teacher scolding a child for speaking out of turn. "Lillian," he firmly reprimanded.

I threw my hands up in surrender when I saw that everyone was looking at me the same way. "What? Why are you all looking at me like that?" I exclaimed. My hands dropped to my lap with a huff. "Fine. I'm sorry I value your lives and don't want you to get hooked like a fish."

John B nodded at me with his eyes locked on JJ. Seconds later, the blond pulled me onto his lap and placed a kiss behind my ear, causing my mood to shift immediately.

John B shook his head at us then turned to the others. "So, the gold never went down with the Royal Merchant," he revealed with a knowing grin.

Pope let out a loud groan and covered his face. "Oh, my god. Here we go again with this."

"Alright, wait." JJ raised a hand. "Hear him out."

John B continued, "It's been here the whole time. It's on the island."

"Are you serious?" Kie questioned.

Pope folded his hands and brought them to his mouth before letting them drop. "I'd like to voice my skepticism."