I Think I've Seen This Film Before (part two)

Start from the beginning

She sighed in relief, then motioned for one of the EMT's to come over. "Take over for me," she told him, then moved to check on the next patient.

"You were right."

She turned around. "Excuse me?"

"I said you were right." It was the firefighter from earlier. She nodded. "I know I was right."

"What's going on here?" A female firefighter appeared at the other one's side, her curly brown hair escaping a ponytail. She had a slight hispanic accent and her brows were pulled together in concern.

"I was apologizing," the guy slurred, and Gracie frowned. She turned to the woman.

"We got into a brief argument on how to proceed with the patient's treatment, but worked it out." She paused, then glanced at the firefighter again. His breathing appeared shallow, and he swayed slightly. "Ma'am, your partner doesn't look too good. I'd keep an eye on him."

No sooner than she'd said it, he collapsed. Both Gracie and his partner rushed to his side. "Pulse is weak and rapid, skin is clammy. I think it's dehydration," she said. His partner nodded. "Let's find an empty bed."

Once they'd gotten him into an empty bed, Gracie finished her examination. "He needs an IV and some rest. I've got it, your team needs you."

She couldn't see the woman's face, but her smile reached her eyes as she thanked Gracie and ran off to her crew. Gracie started an IV and pulled off the firefighter's mask.

"No way," she whispered under her breath. A moment later, he opened his eyes.

She shook her head, hands on her hips, and laughed softly. "Jack Gibson, what the hell am I going to do with you?"

─── ・ 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ────── ・ 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ─

Jack pov:

His head was pounding, his mouth was dry, and he felt fuzzy and sluggish. The last thing he remembered was talking to Andy and some nurse, and then being on the ground.

"Gracie?" he rasped.

"Jack. So we meet again."

"Like I said last time, we really have got to stop meeting like this." He attempted a laugh. She shook her head, amusement flickering in her eyes.

"Lie back. I need to listen to your chest."

She hovered over him with the stethoscope for a few moments, then wrote something down on a clipboard. She looked up. "How are you feeling?"

"I've never been better, actually."

Gracie put a hand on her hip. "You just passed out from dehydration and heat exhaustion. Stop lying."

"Fine. I have a headache. And I'm thirsty."

"Stay here."

She returned a second later with a paper cup of water and handed it to him. "Take these, for your headache." She dropped two round pills in his hand and he took them gratefully.

"Where's my crew?" he asked, looking around nervously.

"They're okay. You need to rest though."

"Can I go back to helping when my IV finishes?"

"We'll see. Now I'm serious, lie back and rest," she said, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry I snapped at you earlier."

"It's understandable. It was high-stress situation and you weren't feeling good."

"Still doesn't make it okay and I'm sorry."

"Jack," she laughed, "stop apologizing."

The curtain flew open, and Theo appeared behind Gracie. "You good man? Andy said you passed out."

"I'm fine Ruiz."

"He'll be okay," Gracie said. "You can keep him company while I check on some other patients. I'll be back in a little while, okay?"

He nodded, and Gracie disappeared.

"She's a hottie," Theo said, bumping his eyebrows up and down.

"Leave the nurses alone, Theo," he sighed.

"I didn't see a ring on her finger."

"No one ever taught you to shut up, did they?"

"Someone's grumpy. Did you not get your juice box and apple slices today?"

He rolled his eyes, and Theo laughed, playfully punching his arm. His radio chirped and he frowned, glancing down.

"Shit. I gotta run."

"What is it?"

"Fire's spreading! Don't worry, you get better. 19's got this!"

With that, Theo left, and unsurprisingly, Jack's headache finally started to fade.

─── ・ 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ────── ・ 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ─

Gracie pov:

"Alright, you feeling any better now?"

"A lot, actually."

"Don't tell me you're just saying that so you can go help your team. I know what it feels like, but if you don't look out for yourself then..." her voice trailed off. She couldn't be giving advice she herself didn't even follow.

"I'll rest here for a few more minutes, on one condition?"

"And what would that be?" Gracie asked, adjusting her braid.

"You let me take you out for drinks one of these nights."

She almost dropped her clipboard. Jack Gibson was asking her out?

"I— I uh. Yes," she stammered, smiling nervously.

"Yes?"

She nodded, already thinking about what she was going to tell her sister. And April! And Jo, and maybe even Jules. She'd become particularly close with them in the few weeks she'd been working at Grey-Sloan, and they'd all hung out together outside of work a couple of times now.

"How does next Friday sound?"

"Perfect. Joe's at 6:30?"

"Sounds good to me. I'll be off shift by then."

"Me too," she nodded. "But seriously Jack, take care of yourself. I don't want to have to be your nurse again if I can help it."

"Why? Am I a bad patient?"

"Just the worst," she deadpanned. "But it's okay. All healthcare workers are. Now rest up!"

She finished her charting and went on to the next patient, grateful that her mask concealed her giddy smile.

She had a date on Friday. With Jack.